Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Benni!



Red Sox rookie Andrew Benintendi made a highlight-reel catch in last night's game against the Tampa Bay Rays.



source: MLB.com

I've been a die-hard Red Sox fan for over two decades, and I try to hoard as many Sox cards as I can. However the price of high-end prospect cards is so astronomical that I've never owned a Bowman Chrome Autographed card of any significant Red Sox player - not Xander Bogaerts or Mookie Betts or Jackie Bradley or even Blake Swihart. I've had to settle for lower-end base and Chrome parallels like this Blue Sky refractor:

This is the only Benintendi card in my collection. I purchased it on Check Out My Cards for $2.65 before the season started. There is one left at COMC as I write this, and the seller is asking for $15.24. 


I've transitioned away from prospect collecting this year in part because my interest in a player is too often tied to whether or not I own one of their rookie cards (not unlike "owning" a player in fantasy sports). But with Boston players like Benintendi I don't need to own a card of theirs to cheer for them. I'd like to own a high-end rookie card of all the Sox starters, but it's not necessary.


With or without this card, I'm hoping that Benni will join the long list of legendary left fielders in Red Sox history, from Ted Williams to Carl Yastrzemski to Jim Rice to Mike Greenwell (okay, so 'Greenie' was not a legend...but he was MVP runner-up in 1988) to the always entertaining (and often aggravating) Manny Ramirez. It's still very early in his career, but the #7 overall pick in 2015 is already well on his way to stardom. 


Meanwhile Trey Ball, Boston's #7 overall pick in 2013... is still languishing in the minors.


I won't even bother scanning my Ball card.




~





No comments:

Post a Comment