Thursday, September 29, 2016

A David Ortiz card and a COMC cautionary tale


David Ortiz made his final appearance at Yankee Stadium tonight, and I'm not sure what was more surprising - the (mostly) positive ovation he received from Yankees fans, or the 0-10 batting line in his final series against the Yanks. 



Usually when a player is in the news I'll write a quick blog post about him and scan up some of his cards from my personal collection. This time I'm going to talk about a card that is not in my collection, this 2016 Topps Tier One Patch/Auto:


Sweet card, right?


The reason I do not own this card, despite being a die-hard Red Sox fan and collector (and a frequent COMC shopper) is a sad but short story.

A couple months ago I was scrolling through recently added cards on the baseball page of COMC and this gem popped up. The seller listed it at $25, and his port was discounted at over 50%. So this card (valued at $100 in Beckett, fwiw) would be a no-brainer pickup at just over $10.

And I had a no-brainer moment. I immediately added the card to my shopping cart...and I had enough cash in my COMC account...but instead of clicking 'make offer' to purchase the card I wanted to see the back of the card for reasons that cannot be explained.

So I clicked on 'turn over'...I looked at the back of the card... and then I noticed that my shopping cart no longer had any cards in it. W
hile I was checking out that all-important card back someone else was checking out.

With the Ortiz card.





You snooze, you lose.

That card was flipped for $75 a short time later. So let that be a lesson to all you COMC shoppers - if you see something you like don't overthink it, don't stare at it too long... just grab it!


Now to cheer myself up a bit, here's an old video from MLB Fancave where Big Papi attempts to make friends with Yankees fans by giving them all a hug. Enjoy!







~




3 comments: