Friday, September 23, 2016

It Ain't About The Loot


Minnesota Timberwolves forward Kevin Garnett announced his retirement tonight after 21 seasons on the NBA - fitting for a player who wore #21 for most of his career. Garnett joins fellow NBA legends Kobe Bryant and Tim Duncan who also called it a career this off-season (man, that's going to be one heck of a Hall Of Fame class.)

I haven't been much of a basketball fan through the bulk of KG's career, but it has been interesting to watch him mature from the kid who signed a record-breaking contract and insisted "It ain't about the loot" to a highly-respected veteran and mentor for the next wave of young NBA superstars. After leading the Celtics to an NBA championship in 2008, Garnett had a much different message:



I only have about a hundred basketball cards in my collection, but I try to pick up at least one card of every superstar. This is my "Big Ticket" item, from 1999-00 Stadium Club Chrome:


True to their name, the True Colors inserts are very colorful, especially the refractor parallels. Not sure how much I paid for this but I know I got it on COMC because I buy all my cards on COMC (other than a few cheap blasters at Target.)


I might look for another Garnett card next time I'm browsing, perhaps a Celtics card or one of his low-end RC's.


Congrats to KG on a fantastic career.




~



No comments:

Post a Comment