Sunday, September 25, 2016

Jose Fernandez 1992-2016


I'm absolutely shocked and saddened at the news that Miami Marlins pitcher Jose Fernandez has passed away in a boating accident. I couldn't believe it; I thought it was another internet hoax.



Fernandez was one of the best young pitchers in baseball, and one of my favorite players to watch. He always took the mound with such joy and exuberance - which was sometimes misinterpreted as showboating. But the guy just loved the game.





After two injury-plagued seasons Fernandez was back in top form this year, leading an improved Marlins team that stayed in the playoff hunt up until this week.

His Cy Young caliber performance this season re-ignited the Hot Stove talk that he would eventually sign a huge free agent contract with the New York Yankees. I really, really did not want that to happen because I enjoyed watching Jose pitch and I wanted to cheer for him, not against him. But God would I have preferred that scenario.

Some of my favorite Fernandez cards

What a sad day for his family, his teammates, and baseball fans everywhere.



4 comments:

  1. I felt the same way, as I'm sure most fans did when they heard. Was always one of my favorite non-Red Sox players to watch. Sad day indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it was a hoax till I saw it on multiple platforms

    ReplyDelete