Saturday, October 22, 2016

Next Year Is Here!

This time last week a nice long box of cards arrived at my door, as part of my very first Blogger trade. P-Town Tom (from the blog Waiting 'Til Next Year) offered up some large lots of base and insert cards in exchange for... clearing space in his collection. I offered to take some 2013 Topps and 1993 Flair off his hands, and I sent him a couple team bags full of Cubs cards in return.

Here are some highlights of the 600+ cards in the box, starting with a little Flair:



One of my all-time favorite sets. I can still remember picking out a box at my LCS (along with 1993 SP Football) as a Christmas gift. I thought it was the coolest packaging ever -- until Topps Pristine came along. I've started and broken up this set a time or two, but I'm once again close to completion (wantlist is updated here.)

Now for some 2013 Topps:


I'm a sucker for those bright orange Astros unis. The Sonny Gray is from Update, one of about a half dozen in the box.



Sox in my box! Always a welcome addition. I didn't have any of these - though I do have the Ortiz 'speech' variation. It's strange to think that just four years after this set was released there's a good chance that all of these players will be former Red Sox (pending Buchholz's option year.)

Now for the inserts, starting with '72 minis:



Another Ortiz! Another Altuve (sans throwback jersey), and a pair of all-time greats. IMO, these are even nicer than the original '72's. Must be the clean white borders.


Tom sent a ton of Chasing History inserts, including a couple holo-foils:





There are gold holo-foils, too? Sheesh. Topps is really getting carried away with parallels. The Cut To The Chase inserts are a personal favorite, and a big reason why I asked for this lot.




More parallels, including a Prince Fielder emerald and a Jason Kipnis gold. Nice action shot there.


I was out of town last weekend, and it took me a few days to send Tom a 'thank you' package. But the day after I did, he sent over some more goodies - once he realized I collect Red Sox (and Kris Bryant).

More than half of this stack were star players like Roger Clemens and Wade Boggs:


The Boggs Heritage is my favorite in the lot. And I don't mind another 93 Flair Rocket; one for my set and one for my Red Sox album.




Sportflics! Oh man, that Greenwell brings back memories. I haven't seen those in at least 20 years.



Some cool Nomar and Mo Vaughn inserts (the Metal Universe is also a Mo, might be hard to see) and a pair of Bryants for my PC. I've got about 25 Bryants now, including a high-end RC that I'll probably scan up and post about during the World Series. I've actually got a lot of Cubs stuff to share, as they were my second favorite team during the Wood/Prior/Sosa days.


Thanks again to P-Town Tom, for a very generous and memorable first trade.


Go Cubs!



~



6 comments:

  1. Wow what a generous trade package! I think I have a bunch of those 72 mini inserts kicking around if there are any you need specifically...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely interested in adding more. I'll check the list and get back to you on this, maybe we can make a baseball & hockey trade.

      Delete
  2. Glad you liked the cards. I got your return package Friday... but I've been too busy reading everything Cubs related to crack it open. I'll have blog post up before too long though! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries, Tom. Cards will still be there after the series. Enjoy every second of it!

      Delete
  3. I really like the inserts from 2013 Topps. The Emerald parallels are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they? I'd like to get an Oakland A's card in Emerald Green. Maybe Josh Donaldson or Sonny Gray.

      Delete