Sunday, December 18, 2016

My Favorite Card(s) of 2016 - and Secret Santa gifts


When I got my COMC order yesterday, one of the cards included was this David Ortiz 2016 Topps The Mint autograph I had mentioned in an earlier post


I was certain that I would write about it again once it was in my hands and declare it my Favorite Card of 2016 for P-Town Tom's Contest. But that was before I saw something that I had bought for another blogger, as part of Matthew Scott's Secret Santa exchange:




I had never seen any Topps Strata cards before, and I was not expecting this card to be so thick and colorful - and the swatch was enclosed?!? (seriously, you have got to see these things in person. the scan does not do this card justice.)  This was one of the most eye-catching cards I had seen in years. I couldn't put it down. I couldn't let it go. 

I had to. It wasn't for me. 

I can't tell you who it was for, since I'm their Secret Santa.. but I immediately declared this 2016 Topps Strata Clearly Authentic Jacob deGrom jersey card my favorite card of 2016. I hope my recipient enjoys it as much as I did (for that five minutes or so).


Speaking of Secret Santa... I finally caved in and opened my gift from my SS, Billy Kingsley:



 The larger of the two gifts contained this repack box:



The three packs were:

2014 Panini Prizm Draft

No Kevin McAvoy, unfortunately. And Iglesias wasn't technicaly a draft pick.


2015 Topps Heritage

Red Sox team card! The year they finished dead last :/ I'm happy to add it to my Sox binder anyhow. I think that's my fourth Tony Gwynn Jr. from '15 Heritage - and I don't recall buying that many packs.

Last but certainly least... 2015 Topps Series 1

This one wasn't worth scanning, and you've probably seen plenty of them anyway. The cards I got were:

Michael Bourn
Sonny Gray
B.J. Upton
Rockies team
Mike Foltynewicz (RC)
Joey Votto
Anibal Sanchez
Bryan Mitchell (RC)
Guilder Rodriguez (RC)
Alcides Escobar
Rene Rivera


Oh, and this insert of...some Justin Bieber wannabe I guess?


I'm sure my daughters will go nuts for this guy in a few years.


Here's the relic, a plain white swatch from 2011 Bowman Sterling:


Ugh. That repack was rough. I'm sorry you wasted your money on that, Billy. 


All was not lost, however. For Billy's second package contained more packs:

2016 Topps Stadium Club

Now that's more like it! I've had '16 Stadium Club packs in my hand twice at the nearby Five Below... but both times my wife & kids didn't buy anything, so I put them back. I'm glad that Billy picked out a pack for me - these are some nice looking cards! The Yount will go into my dormant player PC since it's a rule that every sports card blogger must collect Robin Yount cards (but have they paid $75 for his in-person autograph? I think not!)


There were also two packs of 2016 Topps Bunt included: a regular and a jumbo. Here are the highlights:


 2016 Topps Bunt (1st pack)

Cincinnati Reds hot pack! And a nice Kyle Schwarber (RC). Keeping that one for sure.

Now for the Jumbo:


That's the way to end a pack- with a Big Papi card depicting what appears to be the end of a home run trot. Got a nice Kris Bryant base in there, two Dodgers rookie pitchers, and both of the most recent HOF inductees. The Griffey Unique Unis is from the HR derby at the '99 All-Star Game in Fenway Park.

Here's a complete list of all 20 cards in the pack:


2016 Topps Bunt Jumbo
Mark Trumbo
Maikel Franco
Julio Urias (RC)
Lorenzo Cain
Kenta Maeda (RC)
Freddie Freeman
Steven Matz
Zack Greinke
Kolten Wong
Anthony Rizzo
Carlos Rodon
Ken Griffey Jr Unique Unis!
Carlos Gonzalez Program
code
Jose Canseco
Ichiro
Mike Piazza

Kris Bryant!
Addison Russell
Josh Donaldson
Mark Teixeira
Prince Fielder
Byung-Ho Park (RC)
David Ortiz!



I've mentioned before how much I liked this Bunt set, and with these two packs (and all the star/RC cards within them) I'm tempted to start building the complete set.

Thanks again for the Secret Santa gift Billy! I've sent a thank you card your way. 


Happy Holidays!



~

6 comments:

  1. I've heard really good things about Topps Strata... I'm the recipient of your SS gift will truly enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you mostly liked what I picked out! The first post I read from you, I think, was the one where you mentioned that you really liked Bunt so I specifically went and looked for more. There should have been a little hockey in there too...You might have had them already though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! The Devils team sets..I put them right in my box & forgot to mention them. Sorry about that!

      Delete
    2. It's all good, just wanted to make sure you got them and I didn't lose them before sending, lol

      Delete
  3. I went with a Strata card too as my favorite 2016 card. Great minds think alike ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that Omar in the 2015 Stadium Club!

    ReplyDelete