Friday, January 27, 2017

12 NBA CARDS!


Earlier this week I received my order from Dave And Adam's Card World: 5 packs of top loaders, a jumbo box of 2015 Topps Baseball (series 1) and a retail box of 2013-14 Score Hockey. side note: what the heck happened to the quality of top loaders? every pack i buy has at least ten that are significantly curved. has anyone else noticed this?

As with all D&A orders (over $75) I got to choose a free gift. There aren't many decent options at my price level so I often end up with retail packs of hockey sets like Artifacts or Victory. When there is no hockey available, I choose basketball because...well, I hardly have any basketball cards and I don't know enough about the current sets and players to spend money on them.

 

I used to be quite a big basketball fan in the early-mid 1990's - until I fell in love with hockey. Most of my basketball cards were sold or traded long ago for other collecting wants, but I do have one binder of base cards and a small stack of stars. Remember when I went through my 'star player box' and debated which baseball players should be promoted or demoted ? No such issue with my basketball base cards.

Here is a complete list of players in my star player box along with how many cards I have of that player (if it's more than 1) :

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Patrick Ewing  (3)
John Stockton (5)
Joe Dumars (4)
Michael Jordan (5)
Reggie Miller (2)
Karl Malone (3)
Kevin Johnson (2)
Clyde Drexler (4)
Charles Barkley (3)
Alex English (3)
Dominique Wilkins
Larry Bird (3)
Isiah Thomas (3)
Hakeem Olajuwon (3)
Robert Parish (3)
James Worthy (3)
Dennis Rodman
Chris Mullin (4)
Scottie Pippen (2)
Phil Jackson (as coach)
Magic Johnson (4)
Moses Malone (2)
David Robinson
(2)
Kevin McHale (4)
Mitch Richmond
Alonzo Mourning
Gary Payton (4)
Dikembe Mutombo
Tim Hardaway (2)
Kobe Bryant
(2)
Vince Carter (7)
Tim Duncan
Allen Iverson (2)
Pau Gasol (2)
Ray Allen (2)
Steve Nash(2)

Dirk Nowitzki (2)
Tony Parker (2)
Dwight Howard
Carmelo Anthony
Julius Erving
Paul Pierce
Marc Gasol*
Kevin Durant
Kevin Garnett (2)
Blake Griffin
Paul George


*i'm not certain Marc Gasol is a star


Notice anything about this list? Almost all of these players are retired, or soon to be - which is no surprise given that more than half of my 110 star player base cards are from 1988-1994.


 


It has been a long time since I've added any new basketball cards to my collection; this Hobby pack of 2015-16 NBA Hoops is probably my first pack since my last free gift at Dave & Adam's.

 They're really selling it with that exclamation point.. NBA cards! Inside! 12 of them!

I'm not sure who Dante Cunningham is, but he's my first Pelicans card. Another Tony Parker for the star box (I got a Parker in my last freebie pack, too) and a Paul Millsap retro uni from back when I was following basketball.


A pair of Chris Pauls - a base for my star player base box and a cool Courtside insert for my 'special cards' box (all of my inserts/parallels/RCs go in top loaders and a separate box). Kelly Oubre gets the top loader treatment as well.


If anyone reading this wants to offload some of their surplus basketball cards in exchange for baseball or hockey (Billy Kingsley, I'm looking in your general direction...) let me know. I'd be happy with any basketball cards - late 80's Fleer and early 90's Hoops/Skybox will bring back some great memories, while newer stuff would fill in the Grand Canyon-sized gaps in my collection. 


Next week I'll scan up the contents of the 2015 Topps Baseball and 2013-14 Score Hockey boxes. Hope you all have a great weekend. Enjoy the All-Star games!


~


8 comments:

  1. I really love that Hoops set. I completed it last year, the only one I would need is is the CP3 insert. Panini got the "feel" right on these cards, but being only 300 cards is way too short a set. I went and bought the last one I needed on Ebay and I ended up pulling a copy out of a repack box, go figure, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, the Hoops set should be bigger. 10 regular cards per team is a good start - but you could expand the set to 400 (or more) with rookies, all stars, and coach cards. Do they even make coach cards anymore?

      Delete
  2. I've noticed the same thing with the majority of Ultra Pro and BCW top loaders I've picked up the past 2 to 3 years. For some of the thicker top loaders, I use decoys to help reshape them. I leave them in there for a few weeks and it helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good tip. I'll have to try it.

      Delete
  3. I may be able to be of some assistance in regards to expanding your basketball collection. Just send me an email, and we can go from there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once I get a little more caught up on pending trade packages you and I need to talk about breaking the ice!

    ReplyDelete