Sunday, January 22, 2017

I'm not a Panthers fan, but I play one on COMC


It's been a while since I've been able to find time for blogging. Much of that time away was spent dealing with a nasty cough/sinus infection and applying for a job that I (apparently) didn't get. You can read about that on my other blog if you wish. 

I really wanted to write something about the Baseball Hall of Fame election results, but you guys had that covered pretty well, and I dont have any real interesting cards of the newest HOFers Jeff Bagwell, Tim Raines, or Ivan Rodriguez. I haven't bought any new cards in so long that I've actually had dreams about going to sports card stores and buying random packs of high-end products like Topps Strata and Exquisite. 

Since there's no LCS near me - and I don't have the disposable cash to gamble on shiny stuff - I placed a couple orders for low-end clearance boxes instead. Those should arrive by the end of the week. Meanwhile, I still have some cards from my latest COMC haul to discuss. 

The Florida Panthers are one of the least popular teams in hockey (which is one of the least popular major sports) and it's Championship Sunday in the NFL (I've got a post lined up about the Packers) so I doubt anyone will be interested in this... but here goes nothing anyway.

When I shop on COMC I usually look for Devils and Red Sox first, then 1956 Topps baseball (or any vintage baseball in decent shape), and then any interesting cards under $1. When my cards came in the mail, I realized that a few of these low-end goodies were Panthers.


Jaromir Jagr 2016-17 Upper Deck Compendium Blue ($0.30)

This Jaromir Jagr card is part of Upper Deck's e-Pack exclusive Compendium series. As with most e-Pack products, COMC is flooded with commons from this set. I picked up the entire Devils team set for under $5 when one seller added hundreds of singles to the site for $0.30 each. In the scramble to scoop up as many as possible I grabbed this Jagr, a Dylan Larkin, and a couple of rookies that I flipped for a tiny profit. The Jagr cards have been selling like crazy since (I think they might be short-printed?) and the few remaining singles on COMC are listed at ten times the price I paid.



Aaron Ekblad 2015-16 Upper Deck Full Force Draft Board ($0.63)

 I've picked up a few of these Draft Board inserts - Ovechkin, Brodeur, Tavares, Tarasenko - and now Ekblad, the #1 overall pick in 2014. He's having a down year this season, as most of the Panthers are, but he's the Cats' #1 defenseman and a potential superstar/franchise player.

This isn't the first time I've picked up an Ekblad insert on COMC...

 Aaron Ekblad 2015-16 Upper Deck Clear Cut Superstars ($5.00)

Clear cut inserts are usually out of my price range (I think they're one per case?) but ePack devalued these, too. Many of these cards can be had for under $5. Unfortunately for me, the two Devils in the set (Martin Brodeur and Adam Henrique) are still over $10.


Nathan Horton 2003-04 Topps Pristine Rare Rookie #d/199 ($4.25)
Gregory Campbell 2003-04 Topps Pristine Rare Rookie #d/199 ($0.75)

Topps Pristine was one of my all-time favorite sets, especially 2002 baseball/football. This is the only year of Pristine hockey, and I bought as many packs as I could at the small sports card store hidden in the corner of my local shopping mall. I'm still one Ed Belfour card short of completing the 100-card 'base' set so I don't usually mess around with the three-tiered rookies. I have a few of the base (#d/1199) and uncommon (#d/699) but these are my first rare RC's. At this price I couldn't pass them up. Now if only I could find the other 28 rare rookies this cheap :-)

Jaromir Jagr 2015-16 O-Pee-Chee Platinum Retro Rainbow ($0.65)

I've mentioned before that this retro design is one of my favorites in recent years, and Upper Deck produced plenty of parallels for these - including gold, orange, red, and blue rainbows. This is just the standard rainbow, but as with the Jagr Compendium, the prices have skyrocketed on COMC. The cheapest copy available is priced at $9.24.



I hope to add a few more retro parallels to my collection this week, as OPC Platinum was one of the three boxes I ordered. While I'm certain to open all three as soon as I get them, I'll probably blog about each box individually. 

Hope you're all enjoying the championship games more than I am (the Packers are sh*ting the bed as I type this...ugh :/)


~



3 comments:

  1. Great stuff! I've become a big Panthers fan myself in recent years thanks to their exciting crop of young players (plus Jagr). You got some great bargains there for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're an interesting team for sure. I've kept an eye on the Cats since the late 90's, first because of their New Haven affiliate and then because my sister moved to Sunrise, so I got to go to a couple games. I was always a huge Peter Worrell fan; the first cards I bought on COMC were two rare Worrell show promos. One day I'll get into my Peter PC on this blog.

      Sorry I never got back to you about the Whalers cards. I don't have a master list of cards I have/need, but when I get around to it I'll share and maybe we can trade!

      Delete
  2. I'm a rarity.. A Canadian non-hockey fan..
    That said, I collect the only two players from my hometown that made the NHL and have cards of them.. lol

    ReplyDelete