Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Hail To The Chief


I sold my COMC port last night. It was a tough pill to swallow, knowing that the buyer would make a significant profit off my collection. But in the end I accomplished my goal of clearing out cards I didn't want, while making just enough money to pay for cards I do want.

Well, almost.

The port sale left me $10 short of a $250 Blowout Cards coupon (just so happens that $10 is the COMC port fee) so I needed to add some Paypal cash. I could have transferred ten bucks and called it a day, but I had a little leftover in the budget so I added $25. Since I wont be doing any more selling (or buying) on COMC until summer, this is sort of a 'season finale' for me.  

Normally I would wait until the cards are in hand before I scan and discuss, but since I have no other cards in my inventory, these aren't coming home for a while. 

 1972-73 O-Pee-Chee Johnny Bucyk #1 ($3.45)


I'm not a fan of most 1970's hockey sets, but 72-73 is an exception. I had added this to my watch list as a potential grading candidate, but the back is a little too-off center. 



Bucyk did collect his 400th goal (and 1,000th point) during the 1972-73 season. He scored his 500th goal early in the 1975-76 season, and ended his career with 1,369 points (25th all-time) His 556 career goals are 26th all-time but he may slip to 27th soon; Alex Ovechkin is just five behind. "The Chief" was selected as one of the NHL's 100 greatest players of all time earlier this year.


1972-73 O-Pee-Chee Garnet "Ace" Bailey #191 ($0.85)

"Ace" Bailey was also a member of the Bruins' 1972 Stanley Cup Championship squad. He was traded to the Red Wings during the 1972-73 season, and also played with the Blues and Capitals before ending his career with the (WHA's) Edmonton Oilers. He then became a scout for the Oilers during their Stanley Cup dynasty in the 1980's.


Bailey and Mark Bavis, an amateur scout, were working for the Los Angeles Kings when their flight was hijacked and crashed into the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001.  To my knowledge "Ace" is the only professional athlete who perished on 9/11/01.


I'm tempted to pursue the entire '72-73 Bruins team set, even though I have no particular attachment to the team (While I love the Red Sox and hate the Patriots I'm neutral on the Bruins and Celtics) I have always wanted a Bobby Orr card, and if I ever did acquire one this is the set I'd want. So maybe that's another long-term project. Too many projects!




~




8 comments:

  1. Congratulations on selling your port! Look on the bright side, maybe the person who bought your stuff will end up pricing the cards so high that they don't end up making a profit off you. I see that happen fairly often when people try to flip stuff, and then it just ends up basically collecting virtual dust in the person's store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kinda hope you're right. Thanks for the support!

      Delete
  2. Those are two beauties for sure! The '72-73 OPC Bruins team set would be a fun one to go for, although like you said there would be a few cards featuring Orr that would make it a bit pricey...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, I never thought of including all the all-star/league leader cards. Gah! Now I'm definitely not going for it :/

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on selling your port! I've been going back and for on submitting cards to COMC in hopes of scaling down my collection. If someone offered to take everything off of my hands, I'd be the happiest guy on the planet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a big reason why I accepted the offer and cashed out. Clearing out the clutter has a lot of value - and I'm sure you've got boxes full of extraneous stuff.

      Delete
  4. That's a sharp couple of cards you have there. Bucyk is one of those under rated players. Now I know why your COMC link provided nothing. Congrats on the sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I didn't realize just how long Bucyk played, or how many points he scored, until this post. Definitely underrated.

      Delete