Monday, March 27, 2017

Howe You Doin?


I bought one card this past weekend. 

I was hoping to add some cards to my 1984-85 OPC hockey set, which is now at 70% completion. My source for these PSA-graded singles has been 4 Sharp Corners, but it seems I've cleaned them out; they only have two PSA 9 singles I need, and the PSA 10's are either cards I already have or they're way out of my price range. 

There was one eBay seller who had five singles I needed - including a Denis Savard upgrade. I didn't have a lot of money, but I thought I could grab a couple PSA 9 HOFers for under $10 each and one PSA 10 HOFer for under $15.


This Mark Howe cost me just over $15, which is a bit more than I wanted to pay but a bit less that 4SC is asking for. The PSA9s of Mike Bossy and Bryan Trottier sold for $13+ and the Savard PSA 10 did sell for about $10 - but I passed on it because I already had a 9.

Once this card is in hand I'll be at about 71% completion.. which sounds like an accomplishment. But if 4SC doesn't restock their inventory and I have to pay $15 for PSA9 HOFers (not to mention the handful of Wayne Gretzky cards I still need) this is going to get a lot harder from here.


Speaking of difficult projects...I'm at 18% completion of the 1956 Topps Baseball set. My four newest additions were about $15 each:





How are you doing with your set builds? What collecting project(s) are you working on?





8 comments:

  1. I admire your gusto in chasing not one, but two PSA-graded sets. In the early days of my blog and my return to collecting I was going after a '53 Topps baseball set in PSA 6 with no qualifiers. I've come quite a ways with it, probably have about 1/3 of a complete set including multiple HOFers. It's kind of fallen by the wayside in recent years and I haven't picked up a new card for that endeavor in probably 2 years or more. I've been contacted about selling it off and have strongly considered it once or twice, but I've hung onto them so far. Maybe someday I'll pick back up with it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow...53 Topps in PSA 6 or better? That is quite a task! And 1/3 is very impressive. That's a beautiful set, the cards look like works of art. I hope you do pick it up again one day, or at least sell it for a good price.

      Delete
  2. I don't think I'd have the patience or the discipline to build a PSA graded set, let alone two. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tony..the 84-85 OPC set has been a labor of love. The first 50% or so were easy, and I have all of the key RCs. But now its getting a lot tougher. As for the '56 set..I doubt I'll ever finish it, and I still think I'm crazy to have started it. But I keep chipping away, little by little. If I could just swallow my pride and sell my other graded singles to fund the '56's I might actually get somewhere. Not ready to go there yet.

      Delete
  3. That Howe is sweet. Another one of those under rated HOF players. First WHA player to be drafted by an NHL team Bruins). His old man was pretty good too. That must be one heck of a set build that sure looks impressive as it grows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit I was a bit surprised when Mark Howe was elected - until I read up about his career. His best years were a bit before my time, but man was he a heck of a player. And yeah, that Gordie guy was pretty good too, ;)

      I wish I had the room to display the set, right now it just sits in two boxes. I'll have to start a third box soon.

      Delete