Thursday, March 23, 2017

More Women On Cards: A Custom Card Wishlist

While writing my last post, I thought of some cards I would like to add to my meager collection of Women On Cards (the Whitney Houston anthem card, another Manon Rheaume, any Alex Morgan, etc.)  ..and then I thought of cards that do not actually exist. 

There are plenty of great female athletes missing from my collection. Wouldn't it be cool if I could create customs with some of my favorite sports card designs? Well, I can't. I don't have Photoshop - and even if I did, I don't know how to use it. But some of you do...


A few months ago Jupiterhill (Royal Card Review) created multiple customs of local track star and 2016 Summer Olympian Sydney McLaughlin, at my request. So I thought I'd put some more requests out there. Then I remembered that I had contacted Gavin (Baseball Card Breakdown) about potentially creating a sampler of celebrity sports fans similar to the "Fans Of The Game" inserts from various sets. 

I wanted custom cards of my favorite actresses Jennifer Lawrence reppin' Louisville basketball and Kristen Bell rockin' Red Wings red, but I didn't have the time or motivation to research any other celebrity sports fans to fill out the set. Why not combine the two and make a Custom Card request list with sports stars and celebrities - but not necessarily celebrity sports fans?

If any of you are interested in creating a custom card off my wish list, I would certainly send you some actual cards in return. I was thinking of sending a PWE (with specific cards from your wantlist, team PC, set, etc.) for every Photoshopped custom produced, and a stuffed bubble mailer for any physical custom card produced. The specifics can be negotiated, of course. 


Here is my "Women On Cards" custom wish list: 

Ginny Baker - 2017 Topps Heritage Baseball

Ginny is the fictional heroine of the Fox show Pitch, which is the story of the first female major leaguer. It's doubtful that the show will be renewed for a second season, so a custom card of Ginny (played by Kylie Bunbury) would be a unique collectible of the most famous fifth starter the Padres never had. You might be partial to the 'authentic' look of the '68 Topps set, but I wouldn't mind seeing a blue sky and some fluffy clouds behind Baker. (I wouldn't say no to a Mike Lawson custom, either.)



Jennie Finch - 1992 All World Football

   

Finch is a female fireballer who actually does exist. She's even appeared on a few cards.
Not many of them have decent action shots, and some of them have minuscule photos or no photo at all. The action image below might work well with a horizontal border like 2013 Topps Baseball - if you can slap a USA logo in the bottom right corner.




Breanna Stewart - 1969-70 Topps Basketball


A tall star deserves a tall boy...er, girl custom (bonus points if you can fit "Connecticut" across the bottom. This might not be doable for a physical card; as a backup I think this photo on a 1984-85 Star Basketball card would look pretty cool. 



Alex Morgan - 1994 Upper Deck World Cup Soccer 


Like Jennie Finch, Alex Morgan has a decent amount of cards - I just haven't found one I like yet. Some of Morgan's cards are quite expensive, and 1994 World Cup Soccer was one of my favorite sets as a kid. All of the cards (including the Mia Hamm) are long gone from my collection but the simple, clean design is suitable for either the photo above or this practice shot:




Hilary Knight - 1993-94 Fleer Ultra Hockey


Fleer Ultra was one of very few sets to produce Team USA cards; Upper Deck pretty much pretends that USA hockey doesn't exist. Knight and the rest of the women's team are threatening to boycott the upcoming World Championships over inadequate and inequitable funding, training facilities, and resources. (Alex Morgan has tweeted her support for the US women's hockey team.)



Now for the celebrity customs...


Kristen Bell - 1991-92 Pro Set Platinum Hockey


Pro Set Platinum is one of the nicer sets to emerge from the 'junk wax' era; some of the photography is quite impressive. I was hoping to find a picture of Kristen wearing a Red Wings jersey to mimic the 'Celebrity Captains' subset from the '91-92 set... but I could not find one. No matter, only half of the original subjects are wearing team gear.



Jennifer Lawrence -  2016 Donruss Football


The pic that started it all. When I first saw J-Law wearing Cardinals red I thought that would be perfect for a Fans of the Game card. I had a hard time finding a design I liked, but this one was good enough:




Last but most definitely not least, my current crush...


Taryn Southern - 2015 Bowman's Best Baseball

 
If you don't know Taryn, she's a YouTube "internetainer" who has also done some singing and some acting, and she's super awesome. (You may have noticed this pic on my sidebar.) I would love to see this on a Bowman TV-style card, and I thought that since she's an online celeb, this updated HD screen would be most appropriate:

I really thought I had this Ortiz card.  

However, I'm also a fan of the classic Color TV look of 1955 Bowman, and I think it would be neat if the card front just said SOUTHERN.. like this card of MELE



If you would like to cross something off my custom card wishlist, drop me a comment or an e-mail (sutherlandct @ gmail .com) 

Thanks for reading!



~


 

4 comments:

  1. Chris, email your mailing address, would love to trade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll take a shot at a couple of these, but I don't have the means to print actual cards. Will take me a couple weeks at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Let me know which ones you want to try. Corky (Pack War) has volunteered as well. Thanks!

      Delete