Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Shop Rite vending and a COMC blaster

My wife is still sick, and we haven't been shopping in a while, so I offered to walk down to the Shop Rite and pick up a few things. She always does the grocery shopping because it's much easier for her to leave the girls with me and get it all done herself. At least that's what she always told me. There may be another reason she doesn't want me to go...

Our Shop Rite has a sports card vending machine! Nothing wonderful, packs of 1987 and 1989 Topps baseball for $1, early 90's basketball, 2015 Topps Football, and 2016 Bowman baseball caught my eye - but I only had $4 in my wallet and I wanted some bang for my buck. There were team bags of 20 assorted football or basketball cards - I picked a pack of basketball and a jumbo pack of 2013 Topps S2 baseball for $3. 
 

I was worried the corners would get crushed in the drop, and so I stuck my hand down to catch them... and banged my hand on the metal door. More embarrassing than painful, and not really necessary as most of the cards seemed to be ding-free.



Bonus card! There were actually 21 in this team bag. Not a bad selection for a Buck (pun intended) but I don't think I'd buy another one of these. As for my 2013 Topps jumbo pack...

The top half was awful; the best cards were a dinged Yoenis Cespedes and a not dinged Aroldis Chapman. No Red Sox, no rookies of note, and only one cool photo:


Conversely, the bottom half was loaded:



Two Chasing History holos and a regular. The red bordered parallels could have been better.
 
Mini Donnie
 
 Not a 'celebration variation', they all have this photo
 
 Alvarez again...in Mountain Dew flavor
 
 
And finally...a JBJ RC! A tiny bit dinged, but not bad at all:
 
 
 
In yesterday's post I mentioned that I've accumulated a fair amount of COMC cash through their various challenges. I have just under $40 worth of cards in my 'ready to ship' queue, which I plan to keep there until Black Friday weekend. Apparently I added $20 in Paypal to the site, so I'll try to list the cards that I bought with earned credit. Either way, here's a "blaster" worth of COMC cards.. starting with some 2015-16 O-Pee-Chee Platinum Retro for my brand-new franken-set project:




Andrew Ladd orange #d/49 ($0.85)
P.K. Subban orange #d/49 ($1.35)

Eric Staal gold #d/149 ($0.65)
Sam Bennett gold #d/149 ($1.15)

Jamie Benn gold #d/149 ($0.78)


Super thick cards:




Henrik Lundqvist 2015-16 Black Diamond Exquisite base #d/149 ($2.54)
Aaron Ekblad
2015-16 Black Diamond Exquisite base #d/149 ($1.46)
Goran Dragic 2014-15 Immaculate Collection jersey #d/50 ($2.40)

Paul George 2015-16 Panini Spectra base #/125 ($1.38)

Steve Largent 2015 Immaculate Collection gold #d/25 ($2.85)
Marshall Faulk 2015 Immaculate Collection base #/99 ($0.95)

 
 
Devils rookies:
 

Steven Santini 2016-17 SPx Shadow Box rookies #d/249 ($1.95)
Miles Wood 2016-17 Upper Deck Young Guns Canvas ($1.39)

 
Total: $19.70. I can't wait to see the Santini in hand, the card looks huge!
 
 
 
 
Have you ever bought cards out of a vending machine? Do you load $20 onto COMC and buy a 'blaster' worth of cards? Let me know in comments!
 
 
 
 
~
 
 
 
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Love the COMC blaster, been doing those for a while now and always enjoy seeing how others shop on that site. That Bennett is awesome, can't wait to see your franken-set come together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did a whole series of what I called COMC Packs:
    https://canthavetoomanycards.blogspot.com/search?q=comc+pack
    A mall in Niles, IL had a vending machine that spit out loose cards. Nothing spectacular but it was kinda fun. Otherwise I've never seen another one anywhere I've lived. One of your basketball cards that stood out was the Mark Price, mainly for the defender, Horace Grant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't seen a baseball card vending machine in years. You're a lucky man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They had a card vending machine in Cambridge ON when I was there on a charter over the winter.. The thing was broken though.. Had a mix of hockey and baseball packs and singles. Saw a couple packs for product I didn't know existed like Topps DIII

    ReplyDelete