Sunday, August 21, 2016

Am I really doing this?


I've thought about starting a sports card blog for years. My head would swell with topic ideas and layout designs.. but I never seriously considered blogging specifically about baseball cards. Once in a while I'd write a sports card post on my personal blog The Pedestrian Writer, and while I did get a number of thoughtful comments I always felt like I enjoyed writing them more than my (mostly female) audience enjoyed reading them. 

That's not to say women can't or don't collect sports cards - my wife owns thousands of hockey cards from the early 1990's to the early aughts. But I want to write more posts about all kinds of things - and I want to engage the audience with mutually interesting stories. I started to notice that some bloggers had two blogs, and so the only thing that stopped me from segregating my sports interests from my personal thoughts was time

I never seem to have enough time to do half the things I want (haven't we all felt that way at one time or another?) and if I'm writing posts for two different blogs then I'm spending less time commenting on other blogs. And that would make me feel quite guilty. 

Then I had a thought. 

Instead of writing long-form posts once or twice a week like I do on my personal blog... I will (endeavor to) write very short posts about my sports card and memorabilia collection once a day. Most of them will be under 500 words - perhaps even under 100 words. Some days I'll post about my latest addition to my collection, or my favorite sports card websites, or my experiences buying and selling certain cards. I'll be sure to share updates on player and set collections and, when I don't have anything new to report, I'll pull out a random card from my collection and share some (hopefully) interesting thoughts about the card. Perhaps I'll even include a top ten list once in a while. 


I welcome your feedback on anything you read here or on my other blog. Happy collecting!


~


No comments:

Post a Comment