Wednesday, July 17, 2024

Everything Everywhere All At Once

Today is my wedding anniversary with Mrs. Collector. We have nothing planned, because:
  • My mother in law might also have cancer and had to go to the hospital for tests today. No one else is around to take her and stay with her, so my wife did. And now she's tired.
  • The relentless, oppressive "heat dome" was supposed to subside today. It has not. I saw the forecast and told my daughters that I would take them to the park and Friendly's after I got home from work today. LOL. LMAO, even.
  • My wife had stomach issues this morning when I left for work, and she's having trouble keeping down most of her food, so an anniversary dinner would be a bad idea even if we could afford it. Which we can't because we just bought a couch to replace the one we bought 12 years ago and give her a comfortable place to rest. It's not here yet.
  • I'm in a mood anyway because the only other person in my department has been out on vacation all month (she returns tomorrow -- I think?) and the customers have been especially annoying and dumb lately. I would really like to tell these idiots to pay electronically or kick rocks, but I can't get fired. Need the insurance because I'm giving myself diabetes and high blood pressure.
  • Oh, and my wife asked my daughters which aunt/uncle they would stay with if something happened to both her and me... and they separately gave her the same answer. Awww hell no. I'm living forever ... was my response. But, given the rapidly declining health of my family, the planet, our country's politics, etc... it's a struggle.

And so, I take refuge in my own personal oasis. The thing that has acted as my safe space since my alcoholic father terrorized my mother 37 years ago. Cards. And that part of my life has gone fairly well.

I requested shipping on my latest COMC order in early May.
I placed a small order at Sportlots in late June.
I placed two orders at Cardbarrel the second week of July.



All of these orders arrived at the same time. That happened to be the same day that my daughter helped me assemble my brand new bookshelf.

..which I'd bought with a gift card earned from finishing 2nd (out of about 115 entrants) in a company town hall trivia contest. I considered buying some baseball cards with the free cash but the two blasters in my cart (2023 Stadium Club and 2024 Topps Heritage) totaled the same price. I chose the bookshelf over roughly 100 new cards because organizing my card room has been a nice distraction from all the personal and general despair.

Plus, I already had plenty of new cards coming my way.


I'd like to show them off, but my old printer/scanner finally bit the dust. The printer didn't print and the scanner kept scanning fuzzy. So I bought a new printer/scanner with a prior gift card:

I followed the instructions to install the printer, and that's when I encountered a problem. The software requires a modern version of Windows - something from the past dozen years or so.

My computer, which was purchased before my daughters were born, still runs fine. It also runs Windows 7.

Did I ever mention I went to school with that girl? Anyway.. to illustrate how old Windows 7 is, I first saw this commercial during Brett Favre's return to Green Bay as the Vikings QB. In 2009.

All of this is to say I will be borrowing a lot of TCDB scans for the foreseeable future - which is fine for the Athletics series or another round of All-Time Teams. It's not so great for showing off new purchases.

Here's a look at the first Cardbarrel order. These pictures were taken with my phone, it's the best I could do:


I loaded up on Red Sox commons to fill out some of my binders (now that I have more shelf space..)


Of course I picked out some non-Sox as well:


I have a bit of a Terry Francona PC and I enjoy picking up Expos/Blue Jays cards in O-Pee-Chee and ('80s)Leaf sets.


Some substitutions at the top of this one. I did not order a '94 Bowman Kenny Rogers; that was an unannounced replacement for a '94 Donruss Red Sox card. Same for the 1993 Fleer Tim Salmon, which replaced a 1993 Finest Mike Greenwell. :/

This order pushed my reward points past 2,000 so I had a gift code coming. Since the big order was still 'processing' I decided to spend the free cash quickly, in hopes that both orders would arrive at once.

Indeed they did. I made a list of the 'free' cards - before remembering my gift code was for slightly more than $20.

The Sportlots order took a couple weeks to arrive from Saskatchewan. The two cards at the bottom left arrived damaged, but I left the seller positive feedback anyway because I'd fallen so far behind on Sportlots orders that I copy/pasted "A+++ thank you very much!" for every purchase I made this year.

And then there's COMC. A day after receiving yet another $5 apology coupon my order shipped. It arrived two months after I used my prior apology coupon and requested shipment.

On top of that, they mislabeled one of the cards I purchased.

Here's a couple '56 Topps cards from the order. You'll notice the Tommy Carroll is a PSA 8. I definitely didn't buy a PSA 8. No way is there room in the budget for a high-grade Yankee; I had to settle for a PSA 4 with HOFer Early Wynn. 


See? I sensibly ordered an EX-MT 6 and... wait... zoom in on that scan...


COMC sent the right card, they just listed it wrong. Which I guess the seller didn't notice either, or they would have asked for 3-4x more. I only have a handful of PSA 8s in my 1956 Topps set build, and none are Yankees or Dodgers. Until now.

My CA ebay seller friend is sitting on $80 for me to spend, and I asked him to grab a Young Guns RC of a top-ten goal scorer in the NHL. He made an offer that was declined, then the seller ended the listing and reopened it at a significant markup. (This move is also known as "The JoelshitShow".) But now he feels bad I missed out on the card and he's making it his mission to secure the star RC for me.

If and when that happens I'll be sure to show it off here. If not, I don't think I'll have anything new coming in for a while because... one month from now, right after my birthday... there's a bigass card show about an hour away.


Thanks for reading!



~


9 comments:

  1. lol, the size of My Idea Angela's laptop.

    I've given up on printer/scanners. My phone photos are inferior but I've lost all patience.

    Continuing to think about you on the family front. Hope you can fit some rest in with all the card therapy. Good choice on the book shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you have cards to at least give some momentary peace and happiness. I wish you and your family all the best on the health front...I fear it's too late to do much about our national political discourse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anniversary blessings, enjoy those new to you cards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A. Hope today is a little brighter (but not hotter) than yesterday.

    B. I'm sitting on one (maybe two) COMC package and at least three Sportlots packages. Today is the day I open them up and organize them.

    C. I'm running into a similar tech problem. I've had my iMac since 2013 and it still runs like a champ. Unfortunately... the system software is so old that some of my current software is no longer supported. I'm gonna start shopping for a new one at the start of the school year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm impressed you can still post blog entries on a Windows 7 computer. I helped a customer the other day with Windows 7 issues. I'm keeping you, your wife and your family in my thoughts, and hoping for brighter (and cooler!) days ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wishing you all of the best. I completely understand everything in this post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice of the wife to be trying to put the whammy on you. The planet has been in much worse states during it's history. So has political discourse. Maybe lay off the mainstream news. They get paid to make people angry/crazy/scared.

    Going with extra storage was a good move. Nice to hear about someone who has an older operating system than I do. I've got Windows 8 on my laptop, and even though the internet keeps trying to tell me that my version is obsolete, it still works, so I'll stay with it as long as I can.

    It's kind of odd that the seller wouldn't have noticed their own card was mislisted. I guess that's when you know someone has too many graded cards.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Much belated happy anniversary! Hope things are getting better on your end!

    ReplyDelete