Monday, March 14, 2022

How Can I Miss You (If You Won't Go Away)?

Baseball's hot stove league has caught fire, speeding through the second half of the off-season with plenty of trades and free agent signings. Everyone is thrilled that no games were missed, but earlier today I was reminded of what I don't miss about baseball: small-market teams willingly making themselves worse.

Without any real incentive to compete (and without a modern ballpark) the Oakland Athletics continue to do what they've been doing for over two decades: trade their top players for a basket o' prospects.


My local newspaper was very disappointed in this development:


They just sat there and watched, you guys. Matt Olson got traded to another team and the Yanks did nothing.



I'm wondering if the Boston Globe published a headline in their sports section like "Red Sox wanted player another team got" .. checking .. Nope, the Globe is paywalled but I can see they're honest about Boston's inactivity. Although, to be fair, they did sign a baseball card breaker for the bullpen.



In NFL news, just as I published a post mentioning Tom Brady as "recently retired" the M-Fer pulled a Brett Favre.


I swear he only did it because someone just spent 500k on his "last touchdown". Tom loves deflating balls. Or..


Okay, so.. I had to Google the word "baddie" because Office Girl wore a white sweatshirt with "baddie" written across the top and my mind immediately went to this:


Because I am old and uncool. It turns out that a "baddie" is .. a perfect word to describe that woman:


That pretty much ruined my week. Get out of my head!! At least I'll never see her again, unlike that fancy dog Tom Brady. And the Yankees. And... can you believe that the (second) leading scorer in the NBA is LeBron James?!? Not Giannis, not Luka, not any other 20-something star. Not even Steph Curry.


The man is already planning to play pro ball with his son.. and no one can stop him. I knew Alex Ovechkin was still dominating the NHL deep into his thirties, but this is ridiculous.

Ovi is about to pass Jaromir Jagr for third on the NHL's all-time goal-scoring list...

source


...have I mentioned Jagr is still an active player in his homeland - at age 50?!?






Thanks for reading!



 
 
~




6 comments:

  1. The NBA doesn't test it's stars for performance enhancing drugs anymore, so I'd take everything that LeBron does with many grains of salt. If you feel like going down the proverbial rabbit hole, there's a bunch of articles online about the various "treatments" that players are using these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang. Jagr is still playing? Anyways... very glad Olson didn't go to the Yankees.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oakland has nothing on the Cincinati Reds. They're practically giving away players! Glad Olson isn't a Yankee at least!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Getting rid of Sanchez is addition by subtraction, though sorry to see Urshela go. I can't say I'm excited about getting a 36-year-old 3B who strikes out 150 times a year, but that shortstop they picked up in the trade might be pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jägermeister is still playing???

    ReplyDelete