Monday, March 28, 2022

First Draft

I've started another writing project at the behest of my mother and others who insist that I have talent for such a thing. It's exciting in a way, but the problem I've had is that the ideas come to me at all hours. Doesn't matter if I'm trying to work or trying to sleep - if I get an idea I have to jot it down or I'll lose it.

As a result I'm trying to wrap up my TCDB trades and hit 'pause' on that site for a while. Unfortunately none of my pending PWEs arrived over the weekend. Fortunately I did get one PWE of note. Kevin, the Diamond King, recently hosted a Card Draft. This was the first time I participated in such an event and it was a lot of fun.

Each of the eight participants sent in a PWE of nine cards and TDK randomized the order of selection. We were asked to submit a pick list to rank the cards in order of preference (in case we could not attend) and I landed six of my top eight targets.

 

In the first round I had the 6th pick. There was one card that I was certain would be a top three pick and if it had dropped to me at six I might have claimed it. Laurens grabbed it at #4 so I stuck with my top priority, this Ke'Bryan Hayes Topps Chrome refractor RC. 

Hayes might end up being a superstar in the coming years. Or maybe his ceiling is as a decent player who earns a couple All-Star Game appearances because the Pirates don't have anyone better. Either way, it's a sharp looking rookie card of a young player with some upside.

The second round snaked around and I picked third, giving me two picks in the top nine. With my second choice long gone I claimed my third priority, this color-matching Skip Schumaker autograph:

The third round required some forward thinking. The snake-style draft order didn't come back to me until pick #20. There was another autograph on my want list but I claimed a card that probably wouldn't have been around much longer:

Mike Piazza isn't one of my favorite people but I can't resist a Prizm parallel. Plus catcher cards always hide the lack of licensing.

In between my third and fourth picks one of the cards I offered up got claimed by gcrl - which made me happy. I was starting to worry that my contributions were subpar.

At pick #24 I landed the second auto on my draft board: a 1996 Leaf Signature Reggie Jefferson card.

There didn't appear to be any other Red Sox fans in the draft but I could not risk letting that one go until the fifth round. Especially because I didn't pick again until the 35th selection. By then Laurens had claimed another card I had my eye on.

My fourth-highest priority was still available, but it was not a baseball card and I made the assumption that everyone else was focusing on baseball. My sixth-highest priority was a card that I knew wouldn't last long (similar to my #2 want) and so I selected the "best player available", Ken Griffey Jr.:

I had a hunch that this went unclaimed because it appears to be a 1994 Fleer base card. However the lack of gold lettering will indicate that it is a Sunoco oddball.

Two of the next four cards claimed were from the PWE I supplied, which helped me land my fourth priority:

I finally have an Ice Trae NBA single; the only Young single in my collection was a Panini Contenders college card.

With the sixth pick in the seventh round I selected this color-matching Alex Cobb Fire parallel:

I could have got more 'value' picking a Steve Carlton or Derek Jeter base card but I liked this one better. Both of those singles were gone by the time my eighth-round pick came up. I threw out my "big board" and picked Paul DeJong.


This is a short print, and the Cardinals are a popular team. Perhaps I'll add it to my TCDB trade list.

As the end of the draft approached I had a tough decision to make. Two of my wants were still on the board, along with a nice numbered parallel that looked interesting. One pick ahead of me Nick claimed the Jose Abreu Topps Chrome so I quickly grabbed this Shaun Alexander Prism single:

  

Nick saved me a lot of time I would have wasted trying to decide between two similarly-valued cards.

I was very happy with my draft, and Elliptical Man gave me a great draft grade as well. Most importantly I had fun, and I think everyone went home with some nice new cards for their collection.

If I get to participate again I will certainly try to contribute better cards. One-third of my PWE went unclaimed.


Kevin, thanks again for hosting the Card Draft!



~



11 comments:

  1. Screenplay? Short story? Novel???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure yet. Still fiddling with the format.

      Delete
  2. It was a good draft. Glad you like that Shaun Alexander. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There were a lot of good Red Sox cards in that draft. I didn't even know Reggie Jefferson had an autographed card!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy that the Reggie Jefferson went to a Red Sox fan. I figured that it stood the best chance of getting actually getting picked from the handful of autographed cards from that set that I have, as you can usually bank on someone in a group being a fan of the bigger name teams. A's, Expos, Brewers, not so much. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The DK card draft was so much fun - hope to do it again soon! You took two of the cards I submitted (Hayes, Griffey) & I'm happy they went to a good home. I also took a Piazza card in the later rounds despite him not being a favorite person of mine, either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this is my favorite draft so far. The Ke'Bryan Hayes Topps Chrome refractor rookie is awesome! I would have been happy with drafting the base card with a first pick. Hope you have a lot of fun with this new writing project.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice stuff. I was wondering why these didn't look familiar, then realized this was the second draft. Looks like the quality might have been even higher than the first.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Been away for a while, but thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete