Friday, August 4, 2023

The Road to 666 (& Free Card Friday)

 


My 660th TCDB trade arrived yesterday, courtesy of proxyj99. I sent Jeff 20 duplicates from 2023 Topps and received mostly hockey cards in return.

Some commons for my 2022-23 Upper Deck set build. The only star players here are two dudes I do not like - Johnny Gaudreau and Chris Kreider. Once my latest order from baseballcardstore arrives, I'll have every base card in series 1 (though the Markstrom at the top could be upgraded) and almost every card from series 2. I'm not concerning myself with the gimmicky series 3/extended crapola.

I also got some '80s O-Pee-Chee cards from the great white north:

Want a good score in Immaculate Grid? Use Ray Ferraro as a Hurricane and a Ranger.
Want a great score in Immaculate Grid? Use him as a St. Louis Blue and a Winnipeg Jet.

That off-center Rich Preston card gave me an idea: I should ensure that my 666th TCDB transaction includes Devils! New Jersey Devils, that is. But, since not everyone collects hockey cards (shocker, I know) I expanded the offer to include Tampa Bay Devil Rays, Duke Blue Devils and, if I'm really lucky, Arizona State Sun Devils. Particularly this guy:


I'm hoping to squeeze in two or three more trades by the end of next week. 

 

In other news, I replaced a couple of my wantlist tabs with the Sarah's Surf Shop supercut - so if you missed it, the entire story is now in one place. There's another tab up there, too. I'm sure that one will get more clicks ;)

As a small token of my appreciation for those of you who read my short story, I'm extending an invite to partake in my initial Free Card Friday offering. Matt K., Fuji, and Derek please feel free to claim up to 12 cards on the Free Cards! page.


I've got a COMC order on the way as well, and I'm strongly considering a PSA submission through them. Probably not worth the $24/card fee but I don't buy nearly as much new product as I used to, so there's some room in the budget for 10-15 cards.

Also I should have a major card collecting milestone to celebrate right around my birthday. We'll see if it arrives in time...


Thanks for reading, and have a great weekend!



~




8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still gonna read that story. It's been a hectic week. ... I can't imagine playing Immaculate Grid with hockey. Easier than with NBA I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too bad you can't time the 666th trade for Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried playing Immaculate Grid (hockey) today and got 4 out of 9. I truly suck at this game... but pretty sure this was my all-time low score.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing to trade this time else I'd have traded you some Devils.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Since it won't be very far off, you could do a similar thing as you approach the "700 Club" and seek out Angels, Saints, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an interesting thought, but I dont have enough tradeable cards to get to 700. I barely made it to 667(and only because someone offered free cards)

      Delete