Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Cardbarrel Mailday part 1

Some housekeeping notes before I get to my Cardbarrel mailday...

  • I'm working on a list of 10 Things I Like (that most of you don't) which should be ready this weekend - unless I can't come up with ten things to list. 
  • I also wanted to do a list of retired PCs based on a Free Stuff gift from Rod, who has been giving away cards daily on his blog Padrographs
  • I'm feeling all this generosity around the blogs and have decided to do a Free Stuff Friday every week until May 1st. At that time I will ship out all your PWEs. 

This is going to be a fun week for me as part of my cardboard stockpile is scheduled to trickle in each of the next four days. Today's haul was a 189-card order from Cardbarrel.


Fifty-five of these cards are for set builds. I've sunk more money into 2018 Stadium Club than I should have, but there's no turning back now. I'm just 22 cards away from completion.


Nearly all of my set building projects are completed so I decided to start some new ones. I've got between 90 and 100 cards of these three - all of which are low-end, 200-card sets. 



There are 14 Red Sox in 2016 Topps Bunt, over 14% of the set. I now have all of them. 



Not counting set fillers I added eleven new Red Sox cards to my collection (not shown: 1982 Donruss Dwight Evans and 2020 Topps Heritage Rafael Devers & Eduardo Rodriguez)


The main reason for this order was to fill some holes in my new All-Time Teams frankenset. Here are some new additions from the rest of the American League:


The AL East was not a priority for me; only three of these will go in the All-Time Teams binder. (Not pictured: Roy Halladay 2006 Ovation - I missed it at first and didn't feel like re-scanning.)



By contrast I added eight new Indians to my collection. I'm just four players away from completing this All-Time team: Addie Joss, Sam McDowell, Steve Gromek, and Jim Hegan.



In some cases I picked multiple cards of a player I needed. In some cases I picked new cards of a player I already had in my collection. 



And in some cases I picked cards of players who are not on one of my All-Time Teams.



The Athletics were well-represented. I picked another Paul Lindblad because I had a feeling the 1967 Topps single would have a condition issue. It was the oldest and most expensive card in this order at eighty cents. I took a chance because I wanted a Kansas City card on the A's page.  


Why not sprinkle some O-Pee-Chee into this set? There's a couple more on the NL side, too.



Some Seattle stars including Ichiro in action and my man Yuni Betancourt.
  


Some Astros who weren't cheating (and Andy Pettitte.) I added the Brewers since they were once an AL team and I've got more NL cards to show off. 



Okay, fine, here's the Halladay - just so every team is represented :)


Thanks for reading! 



~

6 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun stack of cards! I also recently got a Card Barrel order in the mail, planning to post it on the blog soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am currently sorting my Padres and have lots of extras. Let me know who you need for your all time teams.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a haul. Congrats on finishing your set needs too. It's always fun to start a new set.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good haul. My favorites are the Fingers, the Watson in his funky Astros uni, and the Topps OD Big Papi.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That 76T Sal Bando is one of my favorite cards from the decade. I looked for some set needs on the site... but didn't find enough to warrant an order. Hopefully I'll be able to find the stuff I need on Sportlots.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The dozier card up top is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete