Sunday, April 12, 2020

Cardbarrel Mailday Part 2 (and an Easter gift)

Happy Easter! I hope you were able to enjoy the holiday somewhat despite the quarantine. My wife surprised me with an Easter basket that included my first packs of 2020 baseball cards. (More on this later..)

Here's the conclusion of my Cardbarrel order. I managed to include at least one card from every team, but they weren't always players I needed for my Frankenset.


Of course I have dozens of Tony Gwynn cards. But how could I pass up this sweet single from 2019 Stadium Club?


The top row cuts my Padres wantlist down to five players and a stadium. Ernie Lombardi is the only Reds representative; I still need a lot of Cincy stars. The Rockies are almost complete and I only need four more D-Backs players with Papa Grande on board. 



Monte Irvin didn't make the Giants' All-Time Team but he would certainly make the Negro League All-Star squad that Brett Alan and I consider the unofficial 32nd franchise. The Larry Doyle is off-center on the back but there aren't a lot of other options.


 

There were more Dodgers in this shipment than any other team. Guerrero, Brewer, Wheat, Herman, and Daubert were All-Time Team needs. The rest were just for fun. 


 

Same for Bryant and Banks. Cap Anson is crossed off my need list, but I would like to pick up a card that states what a racist POS he was. It's tough to find any King Kelly Cubs cards so these will have to do. (Jimmy Ryan is going to be practically impossible.)



Dizzy Dean isn't difficult but he'd eluded me until now. I have a vintage Mize and a vintage Bottomley but neither of them are Cardinals cards. Pirates pitchers are going to be a pain; Babe Adams has very few cards and Deacon Phillippe has even fewer. The back of a Fleer sticker was my best bet.



On the other side of Pennsylvania here are a few Phillies needs. I had a Robin Roberts already, and I couldn't decide which Ron Reed I liked better so I bought 'em both.



Two new Mets, two new Braves (mmm Berger...) and a pair of Ovation stars just because it's a cool set and they were roughly a dime apiece.



Once again we'll end with the defending champs. None of these fill a hole in my Frankenset and I have no idea how I ended up with three Tim Wallach cards. But I'm happy to have them all in my collection. 



Here's what the Easter Bunny (aka my wife) brought me. I wouldn't choose Gypsy Queen under normal circumstances, but I was so grateful to have some surprise packs to open. Since there are only 47 cards in this blaster I'll scan them all. Here they are:


These are not scanned by pack, btw. I already sorted and cataloged them before writing this post.



I know Amed Rosario is a SS but it kind of looks like Topps is calling him an ass (yes I'm a child.) 



World Series combatants were well-represented. I pulled four Nationals and four Astros..


..plus a photoshopped Anthony Rendon. Kyle Lewis was the only one of these rookies I'd heard of before. The only Clase I know of is from Shadowhunters



There were no Red Sox in this box, but at least I got a card of Yaz at Fenway Park.



Retail-exclusive green parallel pack. My favorite is the color-matching Ramon Laureano. 



Here are the hits. Andres Munoz is numbered to 150. Gypsy Queen's Fortune Teller predicts Judge will win a "fielding award" and a Silver Slugger this season. I think a Gold Glove is a stretch but it's more realistic than OOTP's simulated stats so far. The Marlins are 10-7. The Marlins? And how is Giancarlo Stanton going to hit seven home runs if he can't get off the IL? Also, Mike Trout is batting .208 with two home runs. What is this, his debut year? 


Did you get any sports cards for Easter? Are you following any 2020 baseball season simulators?


Thanks for reading!


~



11 comments:

  1. Great variety, Chris! That Gwynn was an excellent way to start this post. I don't think I've tried Cardbarrel since they rebranded from JustCommons but I may have to give them another try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the photo choices for Topps Archives but not the 93 design. If it weren't for that, I'd pick up an Irvin and Kiner. The Mize Stadium Club is a thing of beauty. A lot of great cards here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did not get any cards for Easter (I'll survive), and I do not follow any simulators, again I'll survive. I do however, order from CB often, Go Mehmet. In fact I've been waiting on an order that was supposed to be here last week, but is hung up somewhere in NY. UGH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. order update, it just made it to JAX (went right past here, lol)

      Delete
  4. I like the Yelich GQ insert, the Winfield, and the Guerrero with his big hair.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Been a long, looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time since I received cards for Easter. Think last century.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't recall the last time I did until yesterday.

      Delete
  6. A. 2019 Stadium Club is such a gorgeous set.
    B. No cards specifically for Easter, but I opened a PWE from a blogger today.
    C. I look at the Baseball Reference every now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Having never ordered from the Card Barrel before, I'd be curious to get your take on the condition of their cards? I've been disappointed by sellers on Sportlots enough times that I'm now a little gun-shy when it comes to buying cards unseen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very pleased with my Card Barrel order. There's always one or two cards that are off-center - and I do not recommend ordering anything older than 1980 or so. But in general I'd say one out of every 100 cards have some slight to moderate condition issue. Plus they have a lot of cards priced at 15 cents or lower so even if a card didn't meet my standards it's no big loss.

      Delete
  8. Oooooh that's a lot of nice cardboard for your all time teams.

    ReplyDelete