Saturday, August 15, 2020

Wrappers Delight

I'm going to test a hypothesis here. Let's assume that the reason my Women In Music post garnered over 650 views wasn't because of Brie Larson, but because y'all just enjoy talking about music.


Here is an empty blaster of 2003-04 Upper Deck MVP Hockey. I've saved it for almost 17 years because Martin Brodeur is pictured on both sides. 2020-21 MVP Hockey is set to hit shelves later this month. I doubt there will be dealers hoarding blasters of 'em, but you never know.



This is the Devils' unofficial theme song. It has been played at Continental Arena and the Pru Center for as long as I've lived in Jersey. It's also my favorite devil-themed song. "Sympathy For The Devil" is okay. I'll pass on "The Devil Went Down To Georgia".

Can you think of any other songs with 'devil' in the title or chorus? Do you have a favorite?


Inside this opened blaster I've stashed sixty empty wrappers. Thirteen of them are from a box of 1993 SP Football I bought in the early aughts.


In 1993 I became a huge fan of Smashing Pumpkins. The first SP song I heard on MTV was "Cherub Rock", and "Today" was very popular as well. But my favorite track at the time was "Rocket"


This was the first song I recorded and rewinded rewound again and again so that I could decipher the lyrics. (I'm still not certain I have them right.) My best friends cheated and paid a dollar to send away for the lyric sheet. Ah, the pre-internet days.
 
Do you have a favorite Smashing Pumpkins song? Have you ever loved a single despite not knowing what the heck the singer is singing?



1992 Upper Deck was one of my all-time favorite football sets. I loved the cracked granite design. If the set had any decent rookies at all I probably would have bought a box or two. I bought a lot more Topps Chrome in 2004 than I did in 2003; kinda surprised I saved this plain green wrapper from a set I didn't particularly like. 

Speaking of green.. I know why I saved these two. I don't know why I paid $4 for a pack of Pacific though.
 
Whenever I'm annoyed by the repetitive playlist my manager listens to all day every day I try to find an earworm of a song that I actually enjoy, preferably one that I haven't heard a million times. Lately my go-to has been "Crazy" by Gnarls Barkley.




Is there a song you're so sick of that you might go crazy if you hear it one more time?



I saved eight baseball card wrappers (aside from the 2018 Opening day wrappers I just added) 2008 Bowman and 2017 Topps Heritage are very familiar to me; I bought multiple boxes of both products. This 2004 Bowman Heritage pack was the only one I purchased, and I'm not sure where I found it. I wish I had bought a box at the time. The 1955 Bowman design is a classic.


 
Most of my favorite rap songs are classic tracks from the early years of hip-hop. I don't remember hearing Run D.M.C.'s "Rock Box" until I learned that Chris Rock sampled it for his satirical track "Champagne". 

Who's your favorite old school rapper or group? Do you have a favorite satirical song or a track from a comedy album? 


There aren't any basketball wrappers in this box, so this next segue is kind of a stretch...

In high school my best friend was friends with a guy named Mark who I did not get along with at all. I knew little about him except that he loved the band Korn and he was a Chicago Blackhawks fan.



Also he knew all of the lyrics to the Onyx song "Slam" and rapped this whole track on the way to my friend's house one day after school. This was always one of my favorite jams:



I'll save the rest of the wrappers for Volume 2. Thanks for reading and listening!



~


6 comments:

  1. Probably my favorite "Devil" song is "I Must Be The Devil" by the Box Tops. The Box Tops had several hits in the late 60s ("The Letter", "Cry Like A Baby") but this is an uncharacteristically bluesy album track. Their lead singer, Alex Chilton, went on to form the influential power pop band Big Star. I'll also mention "Devil With A Blue Dress On" by Mitch Ryder and "Devil's Radio" by George Harrison.

    I love Run-DMC...a guy in my dorm turned me on to them when their first album was pretty new, and I went to see them live a bunch of times as they moved from theaters to arenas. Other faves from that era are Kurtis Blow, LL Cool J, and De La Soul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. L.L. Cool J

    The Hanukkah Song - Adam Sandler

    ReplyDelete
  3. A. Runnin' With the Devil is a classic.

    B. SP have a ton of great songs. Today was the song that made me purchase Siamese Dream, but there were plenty of hits on that album. I think the song I listen to the most is Landslide. The original is my favorite, but I enjoy listening to all of the different covers including theirs.

    C. During a normal school year, there's always a song the kids like that I'll listen to 5 periods a day that will eventually drive me nuts. But since I haven't been in a classroom with kids since March... I'm drawing a blank.

    D. Depends on what qualifies as Old School. If early 90's counts... then I'd go with A Tribe Called Quest. If we're only focusing on the 80's... then I'd go with Run DMC or NWA.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love me some Smashing Pumpkins. They've got at least a couple dozen fantastic songs or more. As far as non-singles or under the radar, I love both 'Here is No Why' and 'Muzzle'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. Better Than the Devil You Know - Kylie Minogue. LOL, envision that revving up the crowd at hockey games.

    2. I ran right out and bought Siamese Dream in '93. That was a big, big CD for me that year. Rocket is very cool. I was hooked on Today though. Don't know if I have a favorite song of theirs but it's probably from that album or Mellon Collie.

    3. I don't work anywhere where I don't have a choice of the music that is playing and I don't listen to current music on the radio. So overplayed songs are from earlier days. Nobody needs to hear Eye of the Tiger or Hotel California again.

    4. Not a rap guy. Old school is about all I can listen to, so anyone from that time is good. LL Cool J, De La Soul

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rob Zombie's Devilman comes to mind. Not exactly with devil in the chorus but "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (Black Sabbath) and "Number of the Best (Iron Maiden). "Heaven and Hell" by Sabbath "The devil is never a maker; The less that you give, you're a taker".

    ReplyDelete