Wednesday, November 9, 2022

Retro Pack Break

I had some extra 6-pocket pages that needed filling so I perused the interweb for some cheap singles. Sets like GameDay, ExtraBases, and PowerPlay would fit the oversized pockets, and I could probably waste an hour or so selecting 12 singles at 20-50 cents + shipping. Or I could just buy a sealed pack:


An eBay seller had packs of 1994-95 Jam Session basketball for $2, along with some other packs from the '80s and '90s. I chose a pack of 1987 Donruss baseball (for $4) and a pack of 1994 Topps football ($2) to accompany the tall cards of tall men.

Let's see if these three packs were worth the $10:

Solid first half here. Two Hall of Famers, a Muresan, and a New Jersey Net.



The second half wasn't as interesting, though an LJ and a Thunder Dan insert aren't too bad.

 

I nearly picked a pack of 1994 Leaf baseball instead of the football cards. At the last minute I passed on those, in the event that I decide to eventually buy a box of 1994 Leaf (or two, since the set comes in two series)

 In hindsight, I should have stuck with the Leaf pack:

Yikes. Too many defensive players and Rams, not enough star power. Heck, no major names here at all! That's not to say there weren't any stars in the pack...

There's a bunch of 'em on this Willie McGinest RC 🙄


Finally I decided to splurge on a pack of 1987 Donruss baseball, which I don't think I opened as a kid. If I did it wouldn't have been more than a pack or two; I only remember collecting Topps that year.

The above cards worked out to 6 for $1. These 35 year-old singles equaled a quarter a piece. 

If there's a Maddux, Bonds, or Bo rookie card in here I'd consider that a win. Fingers crossed.

 

First half...


Boom! Right in the middle of the pack! Might as well show off the second half.
 


Back-to-back Cubs and then another Hall of Fame pitcher. Not much else here, but the Maddux makes up for it.


My LCS is set to open its doors on Friday. Hopefully if I have another pack break here it will be something more current :)


Thanks for reading!



~

11 comments:

  1. Can I just say that I'm grateful to see someone doing a "retro" break and it's actually older stuff and not packs from, like, the 2000s?

    Congrats on the Maddux RC! And have a great time at the LCS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work on the Maddux rookie, Chris! Keep us posted on the LCS visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on pulling a Maddux! I remember the only place I could find packs of 87D was at the grocery store in Japantown. I'd get excited every time I heard my mom say she was heading down there to go shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Jam Session packs bring me back. That was the first year I started collecting basketball and I got a pack of those in my stocking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's kind of a rough football pack, but I count 6 of those Donruss cards that would go easily into my collection. I think that would be my 4th or 5th copy of Maddux, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is my kind pack break post. A lot of people didn't like Jam Session, but it's one of those products where it's almost impossible to get a bad pack. It was noticeable at the time, but even more so now that so many of those guys have made it into the HOF.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never seen vertical cards that fit those 6-pocket pages, but then I don't do anything with basketball ... Never opened any '87 Donruss. I was in college, a rack pack of Topps was about it. But I do have that Maddux.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try Fleer Extra Bases baseball, those are the same size as Jam Session, Game Day, and Power Play.

      Delete
  8. I liked the Jam Session cards. I have some stashed away somewhere, and because I don't put them in pages, they are hard to display.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Why does it seem 4 bucks is pretty pricy for 87 Donruss? Anyway, enjoyed the retro break, congrats on the Maddux!

    ReplyDelete