Sunday, December 11, 2022

Sunday Night Scan Dump

I've emptied the creativity tank with my Young Guns series and my novel/memoir (which I was proofreading until 4 a.m.) so here's a bunch of scans from my recent COMC order.

 

Picked up this '57 Frank Lary for $1.24. It pairs nicely with my other '57 Tigers card, Charley Maxwell. 

Let's go back a year:

For those of you who think graded cards are a scam/waste of money, here's some more evidence to support your case. This Luis Arroyo cost $3.25, which the Hobie Landrith set me back $1.24.



Meanwhile, this Pedro Ramos EX 5 cost $14.50 - ten bucks more than the first two cards combined. I'm two cards away from crossing the next milestone in this set build, 60% completion. Can I get there by the end of 2022? Perhaps if I get a decent Christmas bonus.


Some random-ish baseball cards I scooped up. Perhaps when I hit 60% completion I'll discuss some '56 Topps knock-offs such as the Piersall and Robinson, and compare them to the real thing.

Piersall and Duke Snider cost 37 cents each. The Nelson Cruz emerald parallel (#d/259) cost 62 cents. Hooray for thick, high-end cheapies. It always makes me shake my head when I have to pay more for a thick top loader for these cards than the singles themselves.


Some upgrades to the All-Time Teams project on the top row. I've got about 7 or 8 more upgrades to chase down, two customs to be commissioned from Gregory at Nine Pockets... and then it's complete.

Pedroia was also part of the 37 cents group. I'm thrilled that Topps brought back Pristine, but I couldn't afford a pack even if my LCS had them (and I'm not sure if they do.) The Topps Tribute Xander cost just 49 cents. I've got one more card of the newest Padre on the way, but that will probably be the last.



The last two needs for my 2018 Topps Chrome set. I hadn't planned on completing this when I bought a megabox at Wal-Mart four years ago, but it's done. Future Dodger Rafael Devers cost $5.35. My budget for Acuna was $20, and I got one for $17.50 after my offer was accepted.

Football pickups. I really wish I could grab some more fat packs of 2015 Panini Prizm from Blowout Cards (lower your price, you cowards!) It's the last football set I'm trying to complete and I still need about 25% of the set. Know what I didn't need? The Lavonte David red parallel. Guess I picked one up in a prior COMC order, so this one is available for trade. LT and Benkert were also 37 cents each.


Color-matching Chiefs and Dolphins here. Nothing over 60 cents.
 

We'll end this post with some basketball cards.


I was certain that I had close to 50 Damian Lillard cards. That was way off. I'm at 27 different Dames now, which is the most of any active NBA player in my collection.

What can I say? I'm much more focused on the basketball stars of my childhood. These two Dominique Wilkins cards (plus the Photogenic single I showed off earlier) bring my total to 31 uNique singles.


1987-88 Fleer singles are the oldest basketball cards I search. There are plenty of HOFers from this set that I'd like to add to my collection (Olajuwon in particular) but I'll never attempt the set. The Miller is a 10th anniversary tribute to that set. At $3.75 it slots in between Wilkins ($4.50) and Mullin ($2.75). There's one other interesting card in that insert set - Kevin Johnson in Cleveland - but it's priced too high.

 
When Bill Russell passed away this summer, I realized that I didn't have nearly enough cards of the GOAT. $2.49 for this Innovators insert brought my total to four. Ray Allen was the other Panini Photogenic single I picked up. Perhaps I should look for packs of this set at my LCS. 

As I mentioned, current stars are severely lacking in my NBA box. This Certified Joel Embiid single is just my forth different card of the 76ers center. Wish I could hit a card show with an NBA-heavy dime/quarter box. Maybe next year.

Thanks for reading!



~
 

5 comments:

  1. 1987-88 Fleer and 2008-09 Topps are two of my favorite basketball designs... and both of those Dominiques are fantastic. Congratulations on completing the 2018 Topps Chrome set. If Acuna bounces back big (and I hope he does)... that $17.50 will end up being a steal of a deal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You wound me with the Devers to the Dodgers comment, but probably the truth... Once upon a blue moon I was going to get the 87/88 Fleer set done, then the pandemic kick in. Watching everything quadruple in price, ouch...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Frank Lary is really neat. Seems like a really good price too. He's one of those guys that I collect, but always forget to search for. The Fleer 'Nique is really great as well, I think I bought mine from COMC many years ago too.

    Oh, and are you interested in any Lillard's that you don't have, or are you just targeting specific cards?

    ReplyDelete