Tuesday, February 21, 2023

SLU Showcase #5 - The Snider Cut

In my last SLU Showcase post, I showed a trio of Red Sox Starting Lineup figures. The Roger Clemens piece was included in a lot of eleven that I recently purchased. That lot also included another star of the Springfield Nuclear Plant Softball Team:

source: Baseball Card Breakdown

Steve Sax was a Yankee at the time of that episode, but he's a Dodger on this 1988 Starting Lineup figure:



He's got the same follow-through pose as several other pieces in my collection, but he doesn't stand up as well. The Sax figure seems a bit shorter than these guys. Did Kenner do that on purpose? It's not like he was noticeably shorter than most big leaguers at the time.



Because the base is a little less sturdy I've put Sax in the Dodgers section of my display rather than the hitters lineup:


You've seen the worn-out Fernando Valenzuela figure before. In between them is a Duke Snider figure from the 1997 Cooperstown Collection. These figures were slightly larger than the flagship SLUs. I remember seeing dozens of Cooperstown Collection pieces in retail stores in the mid-'90s and wondered if they were less popular because kids my age and younger weren't as familiar with the history of the game as I was.

When my aunt passed away in 2015, my mom and cousin organized her belongings and found this figure, sealed, with a price tag from a yard sale we had around the year 2000. Apparently I sold it to my aunt (who was a Dodgers fan in the '50s) for $5. Not sure what I needed the money for, but it was nice of her to keep this figure in the family.

My mother gave it back to me, I took it home to Jersey... and immediately dropped it. The packaging actually opened on one side from the force of the accident, so I finished the job.


Here's the card that was included:


I've never seen this image anywhere else, though I'm sure a true blue Dodger fan would recognize the source. Duke was always one of my favorite All-Time Greats. When our nearby LCS wasn't nearby and my wife and I didn't have kids, we participated in a Pack Wars event and won an autographed Duke Snider baseball:


Autographed baseballs aren't something I normally collect but I do have a few meaningful souvenirs.


Say... is that a Starting Lineup baseball? Topic for a future SLU Showcase, perhaps 😁


Thanks for reading!



~




5 comments:

  1. Those SLU's and that Duke Snider are pretty cool . I see many of those SLU's at the shows, but don't see them often in shops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool Bridgeport Bluefish ball, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An SLU ball?!?!

    And that Duke Snider card is just awesome. The image looks like it would be right at home in one of the modern Stadium Club sets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A. You might try running warm (closer to hot) water or use a hair dryer on the Sax base and reshape it. I have a Carney Lansford SLU that has trouble standing up straight, but I've used heat to fix the issue on multiple occasions.

    B. That Duke Snider card is awesome!

    C. That SLU baseball is cool. I'm always on the lookout for them at shows and the flea market... but haven't found any for the price I want to pay. Can't wait to see which one you own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started moving away from SLU when those Cooperstown Collection figures were released, but I'd always see what was available when I was at a store and possibly pick up a figure when they were put on clearance.

    ReplyDelete