Friday, March 17, 2023

Irish Day Updates

Aaron Rodgers told his special friend Patty McCaffeine that he wants to play for the Jets this season.

No trade is imminent as the two teams teams are still discussing compensation. Gutey, get Josh Morrissey or let Throw Rogan rot.


Fellow Packers fan Fuji sent a care package to Collector HQ this week:


Brendan Morrison (top left) continues the Irish theme. He's joined by three Scott Gomez inserts and a pair of James Lofton Topps singles for Ye Olde Green & Gold. I really should try to complete a run of Lofton Topps singles, at least from his Green Bay days. He's got an awesome Nike promo card that I recently learned about.


Hopefully other collectors have overlooked it since a young Michael Jordan is also in the set.  



Fuji included these gems as well. I'm very happy to add the Sami Kapanen and Donny (not Donyell) Marshall autos to my Connecticut Collection, and the 1988-89 Fleer cards are awesome as well. But that golden Doug Weight at the top left is a much better prize than it may appear. You see, this Playoff One on One card game (which is my wife's; I'd never heard of or seen them at the time) was issued as a starter/booster pack with common/uncommon/rare tiers. Weight happens to be an Ultra Rare; these were inserted at a rate of one per four booster packs. She managed to pull one (Alexei Zhamnov) but there are 39 38 more we need.

I doubt I'll ever manage to complete the set, but even if I don't it's a PC-ish card as Weight was one of my favorite hockey stars around the turn of the century. Fuji, thanks for the great cards!


So... this has been sitting in my basketball card box for a few years now:



Apparently it's worth a couple dollars. A couple hundred?!??! dollars??!?!

I think I might have to sell it. Maybe I'll just give up the job search and sell cards all day...

Speaking of Steve Nash, this year's NBA MVP race is ridiculous -- emphasis on race. I'm a bit of a Giannis guy, and I like Nikola Jokic as well. I'm neutral on Joel Embiid. But it seems to me that, all things being equal, the award should go to the best player on the best team. That would be the Bucks in the East (and overall), and the Nuggets in the West. If you want to look at which player has the weakest supporting cast as an indicator of which candidate is most valuable then that would be Giannis.

Embiid has James Harden on his team, and they're not as good as Denver or Milwaukee buuut he's leading the NBA in scoring. Honestly, you can't go wrong with any of the three. That's not how some people see it. Because some sports talkers are already eliminating Jokic from the discussion (looking at you, Perk)

Why? Because three MVP awards (especially consecutive) is legend territory. Certain sports talkers don't want to admit that Jokic is worthy of winning three. Many of those same people don't think Steve Nash should have won either of his two MVP awards. Haven't we given you people enough undeserved accolades?

 
I'm not enough of a basketball fan to care one way or the other. Give it to Joker, don't give to Joker.. whatever. Just don't not give it to Nikola because he's not welcome in da club.


 Back to the job hunt. See you next week, and Happy St. Patrik's Day everyone!




~

7 comments:

  1. Always great to see former Wolverine Brendan Morrison on other blogs! I also got a generous package from Fuji and will show it off soon. You should totally just go pro in card-flipping. Like AJ said, good luck looking for a job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nash didn't deserve his MVPs. Kobe should have gotten one and possibly both, I no longer remember who should have gotten it the other year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How's the job search going so far?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There may be something happening on that front soon...

      Delete
  4. Best of luck on the job hunt and the Playoff 1 on 1 Ultra Rares set build. I'm a big fan of that hockey set and there was a time when I dreamed of building it too. Gave that one up a long, long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sell ALL the basketball cards. If I had any that's what I'd do.

    ReplyDelete