Wednesday, September 4, 2024

1999 - 2000

I did not receive feedback from the eBay seller for the Orioles Starting Lineup lot, nor did I receive feedback from the seller who had those two boxes of 1990 Pro Set football I (possibly over)paid for.

This doesn't usually concern me, but it just so happens I was sitting on a 1,999 feedback score as I approached my 25th anniversary as an eBay user:

For reasons that only make sense to me, I thought it would be cool to hit 2,000 on my 25th anniversary. And so I decided to fill in that annoying little gap in the 1990 Pro Set set by purchasing the Final Edition for $10:

But.. the seller also had an intriguing lot of 2023 Panini Prizm football, 100 cards for $15:


I bought these and paid immediately, just prior to my anniversary date. And then I waited for that milestone feedback to arrive (along with... you know... the cards.)

I've now spent $60 reliving my childhood on this landfill of a set.. but at least now it's truly complete. Right?


I still need six cards from series 1: #159 Bruce Wilkerson, #191 Randall McDaniel, #199 Gary Zimmerman, #236 Jeff Lageman, #338 Eric Dickerson Pro Bowl, and #373 Derrick Thomas Pro Bowl.

I need 25 cards from Series 2: #457, 460, 469, 480, 482, 483, 484, 487, 491, 492, 494, 496, 497, 508, 520, 523, 525, 608, 612, 630, 640, 651, 703, 728, 731.

The good news is, none of the series 2 needs are big names. Not that it matters, right? Aside from the Emmitt Smith RC - of which I have two - what's the most any single from this set could cost? 50 cents?


It seems that one of those series 1 needs was pulled from packs early in production due to a licensing issue:


This card sells for about half the asking price, but still...I was expecting to pay 25 cents for an Eric Dickerson, not 25 dollars. Stupid friggin Pro Set is gonna cost me nearly a hundred bucks to complete?!?



I have not purchased the Dickerson card - yet - but the Final Edition cards were interesting and (mostly) new to me, I'm happy with the Prizm lot, and I got that coveted 2,000th feedback. Right? .... Right?!??!



Four purchases in the past four weeks and I'm still sitting on the Prince number. Maybe I've gone 0 for 4 before, I haven't really noticed. But now that I am paying attention I'm suddenly whiffing more than the White Sox.



If I do earn my 2,000th feedback it will have to be through selling, cause I'm not making any more eBay purchases for a loooooooong time. 


Thanks for reading!



~



9 comments:

  1. Chris shoot me your proset list I can fill the gaps up minus the Dickerson the most I paid for my Dickersons was $5 for my 2 sets worth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll try finding my doubles. No idea what I have from way back then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would've never guessed completing 1990 Pro Set would be such a pain - hope you can get the Dickerson without too much trouble!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like Dickerson had another card in the set. Wonder why that wasn't pulled too. Anyways... good luck chasing down a copy for your set.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I've ever known about that Dickerson before. Makes me wonder now how many I've potentially given away over the years. And if I think about it, I should probably check my soon to be shelved player collection of his and see if one is in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not collecting Eric anymore? Guess I'll have to find something else to send you.

      Delete
    2. He's one of the guys that I thought I'd just keep a couple of cards from and call the "collection" good. I think I only have 20-25 for him, so the whittling down shouldn't be too hard.

      Delete