Monday, December 11, 2017

Baseball News (and a Major Announcement)

A lot happened in baseball over the past three days. Shohei Ohtani passed up bigger markets and more money to play with Mike Trout and co. in Anaheim, which seems unusually honorable to most fans outside New York. 

The New York media didn't see it that way:

 Better than being called a "fat, pussy toad" I suppose.

Yankees fans may have felt rejected by the "next Babe Ruth" but the Cash-man more than made up for it by acquiring the current Babe Ruth, Giancarlo Stanton. The 2017 NL MVP slugged 59 homers last year - the highest single-season total of any non-Yankee who didn't use PEDs (allegedly)  

Fortunately for the Bronx Bombers, Big Mike was brave enough to accept the challenge of playing in New York City. It will cost them 1/4 of a billion dollars, but the Yanks had to address their glaring need for a power-hitting right fielder.


Not to sound bitter, because I really didn't want the Red Sox to trade for Stanton... but what if David Ortiz were running the Marlins? Would he send the reigning NL MVP to Beantown for, say, Jackie Bradley and a bag of balls? Would everyone be cool with that? It's a moot point; Stanton had a full no-trade clause and he used it wisely. But I would have liked to see him say "yes" to San Francisco. Giant-carlo would have been marketing gold. 

Away from all the Hot Stove action, Jack Morris and Alan Trammell were elected to the Baseball Hall Of Fame by the Modern Era Veterans Committee. Though Morris fared better than Trammell on the writers' ballot (and on the veterans' ballot), his selection has been panned by most baseball experts. 


I'm not going to quibble with it. I don't think of myself as a 'big Hall' guy, but I'd say there are about a dozen more deserving players still waiting for the call (including Ted Simmons, who was one vote short on the Modern Era ballot) And I dislike the notion that electing Morris or Jim Rice or Bill Mazeroski somehow lowers the bar and cheapens the honor. If that makes me a 'big Hall' guy, then so be it.

I think I have a Jack Morris Starting Lineup figure somewhere; the dealer who sold it to me more than 20 years ago told me at the time that Morris would be a Hall of Famer. I also have about a dozen Tigers cards to pull out of my commons binders and add to my Star Player/Hall Of Famer box:


My card collection is a mess right now, with hundreds of cards from Gavin still unsorted and most of my COMC order unsorted and unscanned. I also have a huge Dave and Adam's order on the way - half cards, half supplies - paid for with my not-yet-received Christmas bonus. Hopefully all of this will keep me busy well into 2018, because I have given myself a challenge. In an attempt to focus on other, long-neglected aspects of my life... 

I am announcing my plan to spend no money on sports cards for one year

This might be the hardest thing I've ever done. I might get depressed or frustrated with some aspect of my life and buy a blaster box of Upper Deck hockey two weeks into January. I might last until August and then spend all my birthday money on renewing my PSA membership (the only exception I would allow myself, btw) The last year that I did not spend any money on sports cards at all was 1985 -- and that's because I was five years old.

My family needs me to do this, but they don't think I can. I don't think I can. But I have to try. 


So I've built up a war chest of cards, a list of topics to blog about (Friday feature coming soon) and a list of things I want to do with the time/money I would otherwise spend on sports cards. My initial idea was to merge my two blogs into one and call it "A Year Without Cards" or something, but now I'm leaning towards renaming my other blog and putting all of those posts there. I've got more than enough ideas for both blogs - assuming I can stay motivated. 

Would anyone be interested in reading my journal-entry posts about what I might be doing instead of obsessing over baseball cards? Should I keep the topics on separate blogs, or merge them together here? Any feedback would be helpful and appreciated.

Also, I don't know what to call my weekly series of posts about my recent COMC order: 500 Friday? Fridays with the 500? Five Hundred Card Friday Feature? I thought of a cool name for it on my way home from work...but then I forgot. Any suggestions?



 ~

 

16 comments:

  1. Wow, quitting cold turkey, huh? Good luck with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it wont be easy but I'll have other ways to get my card fix if needed.

      Delete
  2. Good luck with your goal. I could probably do it, but it would hurt. I wouldn't know what to do with my time either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That might be the hardest part - figuring out what to do instead of collecting cards.

      Delete
  3. Wow. I've cut back a lot... but cold turkey would be really, really challenging. Best of luck.

    P.S. I hope Simmons makes it in eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I could breeze through about 3 months without missing it. After that it's going to feel like a marathon.

      Delete
  4. Going a year without buying cards will be difficult, but that doesn't stop you from making trades. Good luck on your commitment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll definitely be doing some trading..might even give in and join Twitter or TCDB. (well, probably not Twitter)

      Delete
    2. Ah, Twitter... You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

      Delete
  5. That is a tough goal my friend but wish all the best. Just think how organized you could be by not adding new cards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one reason why I'm challenging myself to do this-so I can organize, scan, discuss, and enjoy the cards I already have.

      Delete
  6. Join TCDB! That is what gives me my fix when I don't want to spend money. Just organize and plug in a want lists. You'll have trade offers flowing in!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Would anyone be interested in reading my journal-entry posts about what I might be doing instead of obsessing over baseball cards?" - Yes.

    "Should I keep the topics on separate blogs, or merge them together here?" - I don't know if your readers on your other blog would go for that. It seems like they're more interested in life stories, thoughts and feelings, etc.

    It seems like coming up with a title using "500" and "Friday" wouldn't be too terribly difficult, but after thinking about it, I am drawing a complete blank... sorry :(

    As far as not buying any cards, I'm assuming you will still be doing the challenges, so should be able to acquire plenty of new (or old) stuff from that earned money.

    I don't know too much about the TCDB, but with all talk about it on the blogs, I have checked the site a few times... and I haven't been overly impressed! Of course that could just be me. And after being on the Twitter for a couple of months now, I can honestly say that I wouldn't recommend it. I can see how it could be used for good, unfortunately it seems to be full of fake people trying to be something there not, and people that are the living embodiment of hate (from both sides of the political spectrum, which is something I was trying to avoid, but you just can't seem to get away from it).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon, thank you for this thoughtful and detailed comment. I really appreciate your feedback. I'm still undecided about the fate of my other blog, but I do want to be fair to the five people who read it.

      COMC challenges are great for earning 'free' cards, but they're also time consuming. I'll still do them in the coming year but not as frequently.

      Your critique of Twitter is spot-on, and its why I avoid social media altogether. The only reason I'd even consider joining Twitter is because it seems like a lot of the sports card bloggers are on there, making trades and having giveaways, and I sense there's a trend of bloggers leaving Blogger behind for Twitter. I don't think I could do it, though.

      Delete
  8. That "the Yanks had to address their glaring need for a power-hitting right fielder." made me legit LOL.

    ReplyDelete