Thursday, April 4, 2019

How blogging has influenced my collection

As I continue with the never-ending quest to catalog my entire card collection, I notice that my collecting habits have significantly changed since I began blogging about the hobby nearly three years ago. The following is a partial list of habits I've picked up, along with the blogger(s) who influenced these new interests:


I have a new appreciation for low-end treasures found in dime boxes, thanks to Nick.


I'm more aware of players who share my birthday, thanks to Doug


Gavin's collecting interests have rubbed off on me in a couple of ways. I'm more focused on player collections and plan to post a list of 8-10 player PCs on this blog once I'm ready to trade again. I'm not going to steal his 100-card club "limit" but it will be a goal of mine. (perhaps I'll create a bronze/silver/gold/platinum tier of PCs depending on how many cards I have.)


I've also purchased more cards of attractive women, something that was always in the back of my mind but was never seriously considered. Part of that is because the selection of celebrity singles relative to team sports issues is pathetic. (But Gavin and his customs solve that problem!)


Before I started blogging, I'd never heard of a "Franken-set"..now I've completed one!

Billy has inspired me to utilize TCDB, catalog my cards, and scan every new addition to my collection. (I'm about 3/4s finished but I feel bad that it's taken me away from blogs) He's also helped boost my basketball card collection, along with Doug and others. 


But the biggest reason for my renewed interest in NBA cards is Jon, who is the single biggest contributor to my growing basketball card collection. I'm now working on five sets, and he's helped me with at least three of them, including 1989-90 Hoops..



..and 2014-15 Panini Prizm. I'm now just 32 cards short of completing this 300-card set. This Larry Bird was one of about two hundred cards he sent me - or about 190 more than I sent him!


Jon also contributed to my brand-new Bucks collection (which I officially started thanks to Kerry.)


These were somewhat random wants; as I was cataloging my basketball card collection I compiled a wantlist of cards that looked interesting from all of the years and sets I'd missed. I had all but forgotten which cards I added until a dozen from 1999-00 Topps Gallery were included in the box Jon sent me.


If I did that for baseball and hockey I'd never finish my TCDB lists. 


Jon also contributed to collections that pre-date my blogging life. I'm nearly finished cataloging my Red Sox cards, and this Nomar will be added to the over 2,600 I've accounted for to date.


Which is just slightly more than the 2,540 Packers cards I've cataloged - including the latest eight from Jon.

I'm expecting my Devils card collection to top both of those. It will take quite a while for me to catalog all of my hockey cards, and since I've been lousy at leaving comments lately I might just hold a contest/giveaway once all the teams are set for the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Until then I've got to get back to TCDB and COMC, but I will be making the rounds this weekend. Jon, thanks again for all the great cards..and thanks to all of you for sharing your card collecting interests and preferences. I've learned so much from everyone here and I'm happy to incorporate some of your ideas into my own collection.


~



7 comments:

  1. Nice tribute to some cool people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful help from our community! knowledge and appreciation for the hobby is bountiful here! Just be cautious with Jon. Before long, he'll have you collecting vhs tapes... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The blogging community's awesomeness cannot be overstated!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool. Our community rules. I'm always borrowing ideas on how to collect from fellow bloggers. Kinda makes me think my old ways of collecting were kinda boring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that it's safe to say that the collecting habits of most bloggers have been affected by other bloggers, at least in some small fashion. I know that the way I collect has changed considerably over the last 3 1/2 years, heck, it's still changing, some of which has been influenced by a number of different bloggers (yourself included).

    I almost never see 2014-15 Prizm base at shows anymore, so hopefully some folks on the TCDB will be able to help to you complete the set.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree others in our blogosphere have affected how I collect. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've learned a lot from other bloggers, especially since I started blogging in August of 2017. My collection's been affected big-time by the different collectors that I've interacted with.

    ReplyDelete