Sunday, July 7, 2019

Christmas In July (part II)

If you missed part one of my Christmas In July break, that's probably because I posted it on Independence Day. Here's part two:


While everyone was ripping into packs of the brand-new 2019 Stadium Club, I was opening two blasters of last year's edition. This is a trend I started with Upper Deck hockey, where I buy retail wax of the previous year's products at a discounted price. At $14.95 a box these were the most expensive cards I purchased. Let's get to the goods, pack by pack:

Box I, Pack I:


Meh. Cozart shares my birthday and Doctor K was on my wantlist, so that's something.

Box I, Pack II:


That's better. I had the Han-Ram and Godley already, but the Bo is nice and Gallo is kinda cool.

Box I, Pack III:


A pair of Sox and a Salvador Perez red parallel. Not too shabby.

Box I, Pack IV:


 The Trout Special Forces is the best card by far, but Eck and X are nice additions as well.

 Box I, Pack V:


Kinda meh here, too. The Elvis and Mauer are nice. Springer should have been in the next pack...

Box I, Pack VI:


 ...because it's very Houston-heavy here. I dig that sharp-looking Altuve insert.

Box I, Pack VII:


Reg-gie! Reg-gie! Mr. October is the highlight here. The Pham is nice. Ender Inciarte always makes me think of Minecraft. Carrasco was recently diagnosed with leukemia. Hopefully he'll be able to make a full recovery and return to the mound soon.

Box I, Pack VIII:


For some reason Sandy Alcantara is card #1 in this set (I thought the set might be alphabetical by last name but nope.) The Big Unit and Big Hurt are nice pulls. I don't know if I like the Cleveland Indians throwback jersey or not. Your thoughts?


Before I start the second box I just want to point out the fact that Topps put enough effort into the packaging that there are action photos on three of the four sides:


I might even save one of these for my small Kris Bryant collection. Anyway.. back to the cards:

Box II, Pack I:


Laser Show! This Dustin Pedroia parallel isn't the most valuable card in the break, but the fact that I got one red parallel in each box and one of those two happened to be a funny card of my favorite player, well..that's some good mojo IMO.

Box II, Pack II:


This is the most valuable card in the break. I had no idea what to make of the Mark McGwire at first; my reaction upon pulling this was "Coool! What is it?" Apparently it's a sepia parallel, inserted at a rate of 1:8 packs. So maybe it's not as rare or valuable as I thought (why didn't I get one in the first box?)

Box II, Pack III:


No, wait..this is the most valuable card in the break - not that I really care about Beckett value anymore. The Gary Sanchez Power Zone parallel is the toughest pull at 1:192 (retail) packs. It's all downhill from here, folks.

Box II, Pack IV:


Solid pack here. The Larkin was on my wantlist. The Rizzo insert has a typo on the back.

Box II, Pack V:


Quick -- name the best card in this pack. Give up? It's a trick question. 

Box II, Pack VI:


Some nice photography here. I feel like TSC could have chosen a better slugger than Justin Upton for their Power Zone insert set though.

Box II, Pack VII:


I did not get enough legends in this break; I was hoping for Bob Gibson or Hank Aaron, but I'll take a Bench. McGwire doesn't really count as a legend, but it's sort of interesting that both Big Macs were the second card in their respective packs.

Box II, Pack VIII:


In the final pack we have Thor, a nice Harrison Bader RC, and a pair of Yankees. Interestingly (to me at least) the last card in the break - Matsui - is also the last card in the set.


I now have 127 of the 300 cards in the set, so I might as well take a shot at finishing this thing. if you have any extras to spare, or if you're interested in any of the inserts (aside from Altuve and Trout) drop me a comment or an email and let me know.


Thanks for reading!


~

3 comments:

  1. I might be interested in the inserts, but don't have much to trade and I'm still opening Stadium Club. I posted my first pack rip on my blog at https://countingbluecards.blogspot.com/, if you're interested in adding me to your blogroll.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2018 isn't my favorite SC design... but the photography is still awesome! The Bo is beautiful... and I even like the zoomed in Reggie. Best of luck with this set!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2018 isn't my favorite. The photos didn't wow me as much. The Eck, Pedroia, and Trout cards are nice though. Fun post. I enjoy looking Stadium Club no matter the year.

    ReplyDelete