Friday, July 26, 2019

Trading from a surplus

Earlier this month I purchased a flat rate box of baseball cards on eBay for just over a penny a card.


I got a bunch of set fillers for 2018 Topps and a starter set of 2017 and 2019 Topps. This appeared to be a surplus box of base commons from a dealer or high-volume ripper; only a handful of players depicted could be considered stars. There didn't appear to be any hits either. Aside from some Big League gold parallels I managed to find one decent card the seller missed:


When I sorted through the 3,000 cards in the box (discarding a couple dozen that were damaged and/or dirty) I didn't notice anything special about this Andrelton Simmons card.

Then I counted out the dupes, and found that I had a sabermetric Advanced Stat parallel.


Once I took what I wanted from the box I had over 2,500 surplus singles. I've spent the past week adding them to my TCDB trade list and making some deals. If I had the time I'd make a spreadsheet of every card I received in the flat rate box, so that I can track what I traded every card for. (I don't expect to offload all of the cards, but you never know.)

That seems unnecessary anyhow; my transaction page keeps a record of everything I send/receive, and my trades will inevitably include cards that didn't come from this box.

The first trade featuring cards from the surplus pile arrived yesterday. I traded 18 cards from 2017 Topps and 2018 Topps (plus three overproduction-era singles) to TCDB user Joe0786 for these 18 cards:


A six-pack for my 2018 Topps set build, including a Miguel Andujar RC. There were no RCs in the box I bought, and all of the cards I traded were base veterans.


To balance things out I asked for a bunch of older football cards, including a pair of Pro Set. The Bennie Blades is creased; I've added it to the discard pile.  


Picked a few Packers needs. I'm surprised I didn't have the Bennett and Freeman Ultra cards.

 

These were the last two cards I picked, Ahman Green and Adrian Peterson. 


A second trade arrived yesterday, a PWE swap with TCDB user mrdonnee. This did not include any surplus baseball singles, but all eight of the cards I traded were dupes. 

In return for five star quarterbacks from my Panini Classics blaster break, an Aaron Rodgers Prizm insert, and a pair of 2015-16 Donruss basketball stars, I received these 12 cards:


A pair of Kemba Walker cards for my Connecticut collection. The Teal Explosion parallel has a corner ding, but the Optic cards are sharp.


Some '90s basketball including John Stockton and Vin Baker. The Robert Horry has a corner ding. It's been a common theme lately. What the heck is the post office doing with these packages?


Finally a pair of 1992-93 Ultra set fillers and a Derek Carr that doesn't fit my collection but I grabbed it because it looks cool. Just an FYI, the tabs at the top of this blog have been updated, including the list of things I collect. All of my set builds can be found on the "The Collector Collects..." page.

Also, if you need any 2017, 2018, or 2019 Topps base cards please let me know. I've got hundreds of each and I'd be happy to help my blogger buddies finish these sets.


Thanks for reading, and have a great weekend!


~

9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! I don't expect to "win" these trades, but if I'm able to finish off a few sets by swapping these cards I'll definitely get my money's worth.

      Delete
  2. I think a reason I've been hesitant to get too into trading on TCDB is condition of cards. There's no way to note condition on there, right? Like, much of my available vintage cards are kinda beat up, and I wouldn't want to disappoint a trader with high expectations on condition. Likewise, I'd be upset if I sent out sharp vintage and got back rounded corners in return (unless this was made clear before we agreed to the deal). How do you deal with that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great point. Some users add condition notes but that's mostly on vintage cards. At least 10-20% of the cards I receive have some kind of flaw(that's not to say the cards I send are all perfect, either) I try to mitigate this by only trading/trading for low-end set fillers, but if a key card is damaged I'll send the trader a message and see if we can work something out. Hasn't happened to me yet but I know it will.

      Delete
    2. I worry about this too, because if there are people on the site who think that their rounded-corner cards classify as NM, than odds are that that's who I'll end up dealing with.

      Delete
  3. I am thoroughly impressed with your dedication to using TCDB to catalogue your cards. The best I can do is a Google Spreadsheet for my player collections.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to do those but I couldn't keep up with it and got mad at myself for wasting so much time on it(I also tried documenting my collection/trades in a notebook)

      It took me almost seven months to catalog all of my cards on TCDB and I think it will be worth it in the long run.

      Delete
  4. I have set up a TCDB account, but not added much of anything to my collection. One of these days I am going to cash in a few vacation days and play around with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wish I had time to make trades on TCDB. I'm struggling to find time to build care packages for people I owe. Congratulations on the purchase though. If you lived in the Bay Area, I'd give you a bunch of commons to trade on TCDB for free. I just bought two shoe boxes filled with cards. I'm gonna go through them, pull out the handful of cards I need and probably donate them to Goodwill.

    ReplyDelete