Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Goodbye, Bryant

I've been going back and forth trying to decide where I want to go for my 40th birthday in August: Cooperstown for the Baseball Hall of Fame or Atlantic City for the National.

I've been to Cooperstown before. It's a longer drive and would require an overnight stay, but it's something the whole family can enjoy. Last time I checked, there are card shops in Cooperstown.

Atlantic City is closer. I can do the National in one day, and I won't have to drag the kids with me. It would be a chance to meet other baseball card bloggers, and it won't be there any other time. 

I was actually leaning toward Cooperstown. And then I thought... why not do both?

Well, because it would cost about a thousand dollars to do both. That's why not. I'm not going to get a raise or a bonus any time soon, so the only way to accumulate that kind of cash would be to sell a high-value card from my collection. 

Funding an experience by selling cards is an idea partially inspired by my brother in law. He had a very valuable collection of original Magic: The Gathering cards that I sold for him on eBay. He used the $3,000 or so in profits for a trip to Jerusalem.

I don't have anything that expensive, and I only need a few hundred dollars anyhow. So I looked through my collection and pulled the most valuable card I could part with:


I bought this Kris Bryant card ungraded for $250. The seller said it was gradable - and he was right.

2013-2014 Issue-Bowman Chrome Kris Bryant Refractor Auto Rookie 303/500 Gradable
Item# 201213466324
$250.00 USD1$250.00 US

When I bought it five years ago Bryant looked like a safe bet for big league stardom. He had just been named Minor League Player of the Year after smacking 43 dingers at the double-A and triple-A level. He would enter 2015 as the #1 prospect in all of baseball, yet the Cubs delayed his debut.

Everything about this card appealed to me. I chose the 2013 auto over 2014 because it felt more like his first Bowman card - even though it wasn't - and because I prefer the 2013 design - even though the white fog takes up a lot of space.

Bryant seemed like the right guy to root for, and the Cubs were always one of my favorite NL teams. 


You know what happened next. Kris Bryant.. lived up to the hype. He won NL Rookie of the Year, NL MVP, and a World Series in his first two seasons. And who made the play that ended the 108-year drought?


Look at the smile on his face as he fields that ground ball. How cool is this cat?

Bryant didn't even struggle at the start of his career, like Dustin Pedroia or Mike Trout or Aaron Judge. He was just a stud from day one (I may have even had a little man crush at one point. I was jealous of his piercing blue eyes, lol.)

I'm not sure what the value of this card topped out at, but I think it was around a grand at one point. And I didn't even think of selling it. Why would I? This is my guy. He's a franchise player on a marquee team. He's going to hit 500 career bombs and end up in Cooperstown. I'll see his plaque on the wall when I take my grandkids 30 years from now. 

2017 was a bit of a down year for Bryant. He was still a 6-WAR player and he struck out less but the power numbers leveled off. Bryant didn't even make the NL All-star team in '17, or '18 when he missed 60 games with a shoulder injury and only hit 13 home runs.

I still hadn't seriously considered selling this card during the 2019 season. KB bounced back into All-Star form, but he was no longer an MVP candidate. Is he even one of the top five players at his position in all of baseball?


The Shredder didn't think so heading into 2019. I'm not sure he'll move much heading into 2020.

My guy just turned 28. That's not old. I hate when sports talking heads dismiss anyone over 25 as being on the decline. But the numbers on the back of the baseball card aren't trending upward as they have been with Eugenio Suarez, Nolan Arenado, or Anthony Rendon. Add the trade rumors and messy service time squabble into the mix, and it's possible that Kris Bryant won't even be a Cub on opening day 2020.

And so I made the difficult decision to list this card on eBay. I set a high Buy it Now but I was willing to consider offers. Sunday night I accepted one.

The buyer is from Chicago, so there's a good chance he's either a Cubs fan or a dealer who will get this into the hands of a Cubs fan. His offer was by far the best I'd received. And it's more than enough to pay for one road trip, with a little left over.

I've never sold a single card for this much money. And if I sound like I'm bragging, I'll remind you that I sold two much more valuable cards for about this much total. 


Aaron Judge 2013 Bowman Chrome Draft GOLD Refractor AUTO BGS 9 MINT #/50 Yankees
Item# 131824188465
$395.00 USD


Mike Trout 2009 Bowman Chrome Draft Blue Refractor Auto AU RC BGS 9 Mint #d/150
Item# 130689365397
$227.50 USD







I don't trust myself with high-end cards anymore. The whole concept of a modern card selling for $5000+ is just insane to me. I'm much happier as a low-end collector, and hopefully I'll enjoy the experience of the National and/or the Hall of Fame more than the roller-coaster ride of owning a high-end prospect card. And now that I've sold this KB card he's a lock for two more MVP awards and a Hall of Fame career. You're welcome, Cubs fans.


What's the most expensive card you ever sold? Do you remember how you spent the proceeds? Do you regret selling the card?



Thanks for reading!

 

~

11 comments:

  1. I sold my collection for several thousand (don't remember the exact amount) back in 2001... but haven't really sold any high end cards individually. I ended up using the money from my collection to pay off some bills, so that I could eventually buy my townhouse (which happens to be the best investment I've ever made). I definitely regret selling my collection. I kept about 1000 cards, but most of the cards from my childhood were sold off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. Congratulations on that huge sale! Hope you and your family have an awesome trip!

      Delete
  2. I sold a Tatis, Jr card for $500 late last year to a collector in Japan. I bought a bunch of stuff with the proceeds. Padres and cards for the Frankenset.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sold my 1933 Goudey Lou Gehrig a couple of years back for $1500. I had medical bills to pay, so I made the sacrifice. I know I had to do it, but wished I didn’t have to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. fwiw, I have yet to sell a single card.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always sell things on the low side (comics, 80s toys, cards). I'm terrible at trying to flip for value.

    If you do go to the National we have to meet up

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely looking forward to the 2 more MVP seasons. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on selling it and pulling in some money to do something fun (or two things)! No regrets!

    I’ve never had any huge hits, but over the last several years I’ve probably sold 10+ cards for $100+.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've seen at least half a dozen bloggers mention now that they'll be attending this year's National... I'll be expecting to see one heck of a group photo when it's all said and done :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice work Chris! Congrats on the sale, and I love the idea of funding some cool experiences with the proceeds.

    The largest sale I've ever orchestrated was a few months back, where I unloaded over 100 1953 Topps baseball cards in PSA 6 slabs for $1,750. Invested $1,000 immediately, have been using the remainder to fund some awesome purchases for my collection (the best of which I've yet to show on the blog still!).

    I am looking forward to reading about your Cooperstown and/or National experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never really had any super-valuable cards in my collection, so I can't imagine I've ever sold a card for more than $10 or $15. I'd say you did rather well on the sale, though. And who knows what bargains you might find at the National. (Or at a little card shop or bookstore in Cooperstown!)

    ReplyDelete