Tuesday, July 7, 2020

The first $50

I'm ten days out from my 15th anniversary with the Mrs. and nearly all of the "play money" I set aside from the sale of my Mike Trout RC has been emptied out of my PayPal account. It did not go the way I expected at all. Shoebox Shane advised me to focus on one or two high-value cards and I really did try...but I ended up with a lot more than two cards.

Most of my purchases will arrive at the end of this week, and I'll likely recap them all sometime around the 17th. However I decided to spend $50 (plus tax) at COMC, knocking a few cards off of my watch list. I don't plan to request shipping until I've got 200 cards in my inventory (I'm at about 150 now) and I don't want to wait that long to discuss these cards. 

Initially I'd planned to pick up an Immaculate on-card auto of a Hall of Famer for $24.99. One of the 49 copies sold on eBay for over $32 and I was afraid that the COMC copy would have sold out as a result. It hasn't, but I got my Panini Immaculate Collection fix in other places (or tried to, anyway - that's a story for another post.)

Instead I spent my COMC cash on PC and set needs. A quick search for graded 1960s cards turned up this Al Simmons for my mid-grade 1961 Golden Press set build:


$8 down, $42 to go. Once this is in hand I'll have 12 of the 33 cards in the set. I'm still missing all of the big names (Cobb, DiMaggio, Gehrig) and there's a slight chance I'll add a couple more high-grade HOFers to my collection by the end of the week.



I've had my eye on these Conlon Collection color masters for quite a while. One COMC seller has a bunch and I finally made an offer on Frank "Home Run" Baker here. I added it to my inventory for $8.20, about 10% off the asking price of $9.



This Dustin Pedroia manupatch wasn't on my watch list for 100 years but it sure felt that way at times. I've kept an eye on it since 2018 and it just wouldn't budge below $5 - until last week when I snagged it for $4.65.



Thanks to CrazieJoe (and an assist from baseballcardstore.ca) I finished the 2003-04 Topps Pristine base set. I'm not bold enough to tackle the serial-numbered rookie portion, but I didn't hesitate to add a Devil #d/699 to my collection for $1.11



My Brett Favre box is running out of room and I planned to prioritize other player collections - until I came across this 2002 Topps Pristine refractor #d/349. The seller was asking $9.99 and I might have picked it up at that price. When it went on sale for $6.10 I threw it in my cart faster than one of Brett's bullet passes to Antonio Freeman. 



This Tremont Waters Panini Prizm green parallel was a bit of an impulse buy at $1.19. The G-League Rookie of the Year went to high school in my home town and, tragically, his father was found dead in a hotel that's about 20 feet from my mom's house (we used to play Wiffle Ball in this parking lot.) I was actually browsing Tacko Fall cards when I saw this color-matching gem pop up. If both Fall and Waters make the Celtics rotation I might have to switch allegiances from the Bucks, lol.



Here's a pair of on-card autos from 2018-19 Upper Deck Chronology. I've glanced at the $5 and under offerings from this set and Brian Bellows was one of the biggest stars (no pun intended) available. The green North Stars jersey featuring the 1991 Stanley Cup final patch caught my eye and led me to spend $3.80 in credit. I nearly got both Bellows and Nelson Emerson for $5 total; Emerson's messy signature set me back just $1.31



More Whalers here with a Ray Ferraro Canvas insert. I have no idea when Upper Deck started sneaking retired players into what I thought was a parallel set, or why they picked "Chicken Parm". Regardless, as soon as I saw it I added it to my watch list.. and then someone bought it an instant later. So I quickly snatched up the next-cheapest copy for $2.80.

Ferraro was the Whalers' #2 center for many years, behind this Hall of Famer:


Until now I did not have a rookie card of "Ronnie Franchise" and one of my goals with this windfall was to fill that hole in my collection. I had always hoped to pick up a graded copy but I just couldn't justify spending triple-digits on a slabbed single. And so I examined my options on COMC, picked out the best-looking copy in my price range and made an offer. It's a bit of a gamble at $12.75, and I won't know if it paid off for a few months, but at least I can cross this off my shopping list.

If my math is correct that's a total of $49.91. Can't exactly call this a COMC Blaster.. a COMC Megabox maybe?  

This is the last time I'll be spending money at COMC until at least Black Friday, and I'll be happy to bring home some longtime residents of my watch list.. eventually.


Are you still shopping on COMC? Has your opinion of the site changed due to their indefinite shipping delays?



Thanks for reading!



~



 

15 comments:

  1. Nice choices and congrats on 15 with Mrs. Collector! I'm generally waiting for COMC to do a sale and have closer to normal shipping times before buying again there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. Congrats on your 15th anniversary.

    Home-town connections are nice. Can get a card that means a bit extra without spending a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the big 1-5! I really like the Chronology cards - not quite as good as Masterpieces in my personal preference, but not far off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy anniversary!

    As I've said a few times, I am waiting for more reasonable shipping times before I request shipment from COMC.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Canvas was always an insert, never a parallel. I'm not sure when they started including retired guys in it though, I know that I pulled a Patrick Roy from the 2017-17 set.

    I don't plan to ship from COMC until they restore the shipping bonus. I don't know when that will be but I will be getting at least $10 when they do...I have 178 cards ready to ship right now. That number will surely increase by time I actually do ship. At think at the rate things are going I may not see them in hand until 2022...I can wait.

    Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sort-of noticed the shipping bonus was gone from the dashboard, but hadn't really put two and two together. Without the incentive I might stop short of 200 if I get really fed up with the site, but there'sd still some low-end hockey cards to hoard sice UD keeps sending all their inserts to ePack.

      Delete
  6. I'm still buying and adding stuff to my COMC cart, but it's gonna be a while before I request a shipment. I haven't counted but I probably have about 150 cards ready to ship right now, and I'll keep adding to that until I get a more definite time frame for their shipping.

    Never seen those Conlon color masters before. Wish they were a bit cheaper, because that Home Run Baker is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice additions to your collection, Chris! I have a stack of cards there too but in no hurry, willing to wait it out. COMC has been challenged, as so many vendors have that rely on the postal service. I still have friends who work the the USPS. An increase in volume, coupled with employees who are ill or afraid to work, has lengthened delivery times across the country. Here in MI, the main distribution/ sorting facility experienced the Covid death of an employee which closed the location down for a short time. Afterwards, over half the staff stayed home, refusing to work. I can't blame them. COMC may be experiencing an employee shortage on top of this. Enjoy your anniversary! Don't forget to share the celebration with us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy anniversary!
    I'm not a COMC guy so I can't offer a related comment, but I will say that parking lot looked perfect for whiffle ball games! Those were the good old days!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great pickups! I'm not a fan of Manufactured relics but that Fenway 100 patch is sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A. That "Home Run" Baker is really cool.

    B. I don't fault COMC for their shipping issues. It's not their fault COVID hit their state hard and force them into a lockdown. However... I wasn't happy with their lack of response to emails. That's something they could have done from home or paid someone to do from their home.

    C. I was planning to stop buying cards from their site, but not because of the shipping delays. I was tired of paying the tax on credit. However a post over on Shlabotnik's blog inspired me to look for Golden Seals team cards on COMC. Long story short... I found one... and added store credit to buy it. I gave myself extra money to spend, so I'll buy something every now and then. I'll request a shipment when I run out of money.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy anniversary! Those Chronology cards are nicely done. Not sure I've seen them before.

    As for COMC, I think I ordered some cards from them a few years ago, and it was only one time, so I don't really have much of an opinion on their site or the current delays.

    ReplyDelete
  12. WHOA! Call me crazy but I actually prefer even just the lot you got here to that Trout, anything else you picked up aside. Of course I'm heavily biased as a Whalers fan. Landing a Francis rookie was absolutely key. I'm with you, have eyed graded copies in the past but can't bring myself to spend $100+ on one. Do have a raw copy though, and yours looks like a beauty!

    I requested shipment of the 200 cards that I had in my COMC inventory on June 7th, still waiting for it to actually go out. Since then my spending is way down across the board, and on COMC as well. I've got maybe 10 cards in inventory and a couple bucks credit left, which I might have to use on one of those Canvas Chicken Parms if I can find a cheap one!

    Also, happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on 15 years.
    I did a COMC purchase and got a shipment relatively quickly in June (all things considered). It arrived 2 weeks after requesting shipment. I do have another 20 or so cards already added to my cart, but I'm going to hold off requesting shipment until November or so.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy milestone anniversary! I'm still buying on COMC, just not having it shipped yet.

    ReplyDelete