Sunday, December 20, 2020

COMClusion

Let's look at the remainder of my COMC order - baseball cards and set fillers.

 

This slabbed Al Simmons single cost $8.00 and pushes me past one-third completion of the set (12/33). Every player/manager in the set is a Hall of Famer, but I definitely started this set build with the less heralded legends. 

Here's the heart of the order - more 1956 Topps cards. Ashburn was my most expensive purchase at $36.20. Howell cost $19.78. O'Brien and Runnels were a package deal at $25.50 total. I'm not setting any goals for 2021 but this will be a priority now that my base card binders and boxes are filling up.

Another project I'm going to prioritize is my All-Time Teams collection. Yankee Stadium and the Kingdome were upgrades from 1994 Score singles. The Topps team issue stadiums are often tough to find. The red Rosenthal was a must-have. It's numbered to 50 and set me back a buck and a quarter.

I only picked up eight Red Sox cards from Black Friday 2019 to September 2020. The Pedroia manu-relic had been sitting on my watch list for about three years.

When I shopped on COMC I would occasionally search for bargain singles from high-end products I'll never break, such as Topps Tribute, Triple Threads, and Museum Collection. Two of the best bargains I found: the Nolan Arenado relic #d/27 ($3.25) and the Tim Raines auto #d/50 ($5.05). Not everything was a steal however. I paid $2.93 for the Bryant blue parallel #d/150, which seems quite high by comparison.

 

Finally, here are some more set fillers I picked up. This reminds me that there is one more set I'm one card away from completing. I've got all 400 base cards from 2018 Topps Big League and all but one of the Players' Weekend variations (anyone have a Rhys Hoskins for trade?)

 

 ---------------------------------------------------------

 

The response to my NFL Week PWE Swap Meet has been overwhelming. Literally. I've received over 1,000 football cards including a third PWE from Bo and a box from Trevor that arrived yesterday. I can't possibly send a 1-for-1 return when someone drops 400+ cards on my doorstep, and even if I could it's impossible for me to stand in line at the post office right now. But I'll send something out soon. Big thanks to Trevor, Bo, and everyone who has participated so far.

I've been preparing the prize box and I will reveal the winner on Tuesday, December 29 - which will probably be my next post since I've got a lot of All-Time Teams stuff to work on before and after Christmas. If you're really feeling generous I'd be thrilled to get some feedback on the fiction piece I published here. It's nothing major, just something I wrote for fun.

all i want for Christmas..

 

Hope you all have a Merry Christmas (I'd say Happy Hanukkah but I know it just ended.) See you next week!


 

 

~




20 comments:

  1. Nice pickups. My favorite is the Raines auto. Looks like a really beautiful card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look for stuff from the high-end sets on COMC as well. There's something satisfying about finding a card from a $100-a-pack set for loose change.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa dude, that's a lot of great stuff! I agree with DK, nice deal on the Raines! Excellent vintage stuff as well. I hope you and Ms. Kendrick have a great Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I purchased some Mother's Cookies stadium giveaway cards from the 80's a while back and have a few duplicates: Jack Murphy Stadium, Candlestick Park, and Kingdome. Let me know if you could use them.

    Here's what they look like: https://sanjosefuji.blogspot.com/2020/07/more-80s-treats.html

    I'll add them to the stack of vintage football cards I'm still planning on sending your way (hopefully tomorrow). By the way... these are just a care package and not part of the "swap". No need to send anything in return. Just enjoy a safe holiday season and thank you for providing interesting reading material.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to add some of those Mother's Cookies stadium cards. if you have extras please do send them along. And thank you for your generosity! I always appreciate how often you are able to read and comment.

      Delete
  5. Merry Christmas, see you next week! ... One day I'll return to COMC ... if it doesn't go under from the 2020 disaster.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ashburn was the CF on the Phillies' 1950 NL champion team that lost 3 straight World Series games by 1 run.

    I like the Raines and Arenado cards.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those "high-end" deals were super deals. I'd have pulled the trigger too had I seen those, especially the Raines auto. I finally got my account down to apx. .50 so I made my last shipping request last week. As Greg mentioned the 2020 disaster I'd have to say that ComC's issues started before Covid, as they pushed their "auctions". I get cards from card shops/dealers in WA pretty much every week without any sort of delays. I'm not sure I'll go back to ComC, I didn't like the old wait period of 3 weeks. I order my cards I want them now, lol. You did really well with this batch for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Merry Christmas to you. Nice deals on those COMC pickups. I started to read your fictional story. I'll finish it up tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I sent you five football PWEs at the same time - hope they all get there safely. I just posted the Sportflics Al Simmons card with the same photo! What set is the Yankee Stadium card from? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I knew that looked familiar. The Yankee Stadium card comes from this team set.

      Delete
  10. Sweet pick-ups Chris! Love those '56s in particular, just awesome. Even though the shipping has been atrocious, I just can't seem to swear off COMC. There has been zero retail wax available in these parts this entire year, so for cheap thrills it's either COMC or Sportlots. I hope they catch up on the backlog in the early part of 2021 here...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can see why you wanted that Trevor Rosenthal, it's quite fetching! I don't think that most of the high-end sets ever have anything for me in them, but do enjoy seeing when you, and others, are able to pick up singles from them for so little.

    As for the story, thanks for posting it, I'm hoping to read it in a few days when I can do so in one sitting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really nothing special, but I appreciate your interest.

      Delete
  12. Chris, shoot me an e-mail with your address.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great stuff, Chris! I've been waiting over 4 months for my COMC delivery. :(

    ReplyDelete