Saturday, December 12, 2020

One and Done

Quick update tonight before I finish decorating the house for Christmas - and sorting all the new cards that have come in this week. 

PWE Swap packages have been mailed to everyone except Nachos Grande and Ken. The line at the post office this afternoon was far too long to send a bubble mailer. Your packages will be mailed Monday.

I probably won't have time to scan and discuss the football cards I've received but they are appreciated. It's been a great mix of players I collect and random stuff I never would have come across otherwise. Thanks again everyone!

Here are some cards I received in my COMC order. These were the last cards I needed to complete each set:

1986 Topps #11 ($2.44)


1989-90 Hoops #351a ($1.45)


2018 Stadium Club #145 ($0.35)


2019 Topps Opening Day #55 ($0.40)

Right now there are only two sets in my collection that are one card short of completion: 2007-08 Upper Deck Black Diamond hockey (damn Carey Price RC) and 2011 Topps Lineage. I only need #55:


You know who's not one and done? Anna Kendrick.

Her reign as The Collector's Celebrity Crush Champion (CCC) continues for a second consecutive year.

Anna held off a strong challenge from Brie Larson, who slides into my Women on Cards binder thanks to ePack:

Can Kendrick make it a Triple Crown? Or will her her former castmate take the title in '21? Don't count out a comeback attempt from Taryn Southern, and Melissa Benoist is bound to win it one of these years.


I guess there's enough time and space to squeeze in some recent vintage pickups:

Charley Neal has a couple small creases at the bottom but it was part of a 40-for-$40 deal that also included the Eddie Yost 1950 Bowman at the top right. That one is crease free. There were two other 1957 Topps cards in that package that are en route to a fellow blogger.

The other five were COMC purchases. Cepeda is really sharp, but there's some very slight gum staining on the front. Roberts is super clean but the top edge is a little rough. Dark looks nice at first glance but there's some scotch tape impression on the front and a tiny crease along the card number on the back.


Minarcin might be the best of the bunch. I've only bought graded singles for my 1956 Topps set build but this beauty was too good to pass up. Finding gems like this on COMC for under $3 ($2.16 to be precise) was one reason why I started this set four years ago. I'm a lot more than one away from completing it, but I am one card closer. Only 156 more to go...



Thanks for reading!




~

16 comments:

  1. Congrats on some set-completion, awesome vintage, and outstanding CCC contenders! Also, I love the Pistons card that takes me back to the Bad Boys and the days when I actually liked basketball.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope my football one showed up to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you have them in the proper order. Though Kendrick is the only one I remember seeing in a movie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So that football PWE swap is any NFL card?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any 4-15 football cards for 4-15 cards you collect.

      Delete
  5. That Pistons Championship card was so hot back in the day. Makes me want to track down a copy for myself just for nostalgic purposes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember seeing it at the time - but I was too young and poor to buy more than a handful of packs.

      Delete
    2. I never owned a copy, but was working at a card shop at the time... so I've probably held one at some point.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I bought 40 cards from a TCDB user who is selling his collection for health reasons. Picked up some set fillers, vintage, and All-Time Teams needs. Another thing I probably won't get to on the blog (nice catch, btw)

      Delete
  7. Congrats on knocking off all of those sets, that must feel great. Love the vintage, especially those two early '50s Bowmans on the right!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Got the pair of 57s.. big thanks! Gonna try mailing you back some football cards today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm ashamed that Kendrick hasn't appeared on my October event yet. I got plans tofix that next year.

    ReplyDelete