Thursday, April 1, 2021

Is this a Joke?

Last night I was browsing eBay for a gift for my mom when I decided to search for old Starting Lineup figures.


I browse a lot more than I buy since I don't really have the space for more Starting Lineups, but I stumbled on one auction that I couldn't pass up -- this 1988-89 Starting Lineup Football Lot of 4:

The listing is not technically correct; the Joe Montana figure is from the 1990 set. Still, this is a great value at about $9 a piece after tax. I could potentially flip the Elway figure and pay for the whole lot. 


There's just one problem - I can't pay for the lot. Oh, I have the money to pay for it. But I'm not able to pay for it. This is what happens when I try to check out:


Would you like to add a protection plan?
3-year protection plan from SquareTrade - $3.99
  • Coverage for product breakdowns and malfunctions
  • 100% Parts and labor, no deductibles
  • 24/7 customer support
  • 5-day service guarantee
  • Cancel or transfer anytime (full refund in first 30 days)


Protection plan? What the hell is this? No. Go to checkout.


One or more sellers can't accept payments right now. Contact the sellers for help.

You can also:
  • Go to My eBay



What the hell? Have any of you seen this before? eBay is really starting to annoy me.

The auction ends this evening and there are 48 watchers. I'm guessing at least one other user has tried to purchase this lot only to be blocked by this weird warning. 



Anyway... Happy Opening Day! :)


The Red Sox are rained out :(



Thanks for reading!


~





4 comments:

  1. I'm trying to picture a scenario where someone would try to utilize an extended protection plan on these...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man... I'd love to land that Elway. Heck... I don't even need the whole package, I just want that card. Anyways... the whole thing about the seller can't accept payment right now is weird. Never seen that before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought that this was gonna be about the lot selling for some insane price. I've had the "protection plan" thing show up on some odd listings, but have never seen the other window.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For $4 you should buy the lot, break a figure, and send it in to SquareTrade to get it fixed and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete