Sunday, December 26, 2021

Christmas Sox

Thank you all for the well wishes, I'm feeling much better today.


I didn't get any new cards this Christmas (possibly because I was unable to visit my in-laws) but I did get some sports-related gifts: a Red Sox 2022 calendar, a Packers hat, and a Red Sox 2018 World Series champions hat from my wife - and a P.K. Subban Funko from my sister in law. It would have been nice to have a blaster or two to crack open while I was quarantined but it's okay. I honestly didn't like any of the low-end retail options anyhow (except Archives*).

The Mrs. and I gifted our girls a trip to Boston this spring. We probably won't get to see a Red Sox game even if the lockout ends in time, but I'm looking forward to it. Can't wait to tell my bosses I'll need another week off lol.

Though there were no blasters or fat packs under our tree that's not to say I didn't get any cards. Dennis delivered in the clutch with a bubble mailer full of Red Sox* (and a couple non-Sox) that arrived just as I was planning my previous post.



*this Big Papi Archives card was the only Sox single in my recent COMC order. I actually purchased more Yanks (2) than Red Sox!


Most of the cards from Dennis were mid-1990s issues - which means lots of Mo Vaughn:

Big Mo was a big reason the Red Sox reached the playoffs in 1995. He just beat out Albert Belle for AL MVP honors - but Belle's team swept Boston in the ALDS.



Mid '90s Finest! The '94 Refractor is fantastic. I have the complete set of 1999 and 2000 Finest, maybe I'll put together a career run of Mo Vaughn Finest cards? Mike Greenwell finished second to Jose Canseco in AL MVP voting in 1988. There's more cards of all three players in this stack.

There's Jose, along with some other 1996 Finest cards. I couldn't afford too many packs of those at the time but it was a thrill to pull a Silver or Gold SP. The Embossed parallels were neat, too. Donruss Press Proofs weren't quite as fun, and the die-cuts are a little odd. The Gold Press Proof has that dufex effect that Pinnacle used for the Museum Collection parallels, so I'm partial to that one.

Starting Lineup singles always bring back great memories. I loved that Talking Baseball game as a kid.

Some early career Nomar here, along with more Mike Greenwell and a Rusney Castillo relic.



One more Mo in this batch of 1996 Score brings my total to 135 total (129 different) which vaults him ahead of Roger Clemens and Robin Yount for fifth in my collection. I do have 139 total Clemens cards but only 126 unique singles.


Nearly every care package I receive from Dennis includes some Topps Pristine singles, and the tradition continues with this trio:

Hines Ward and Willis McGahee are from the 2003 Pristine set; Robinson is a numbered SP from the 2004 edition. Those low numbered rookie variations are preventing me from completing the 2003-04 Topps Pristine hockey set:

I was tempted to pick up some serial numbered short-prints during COMC's sale but in the end I settled on this 'base' Matthew Stajan RC, numbered to 1199. If I plan to complete the 'common' rookies portion of the set I'll only need two more: Dominic Moore (no problem) and Patrice Bergeron (gulp).


Dennis, thanks for the great Red Sox (and Pristine) cards!


I hope you all had a Merry Christmas, and thanks for reading!




~




9 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas and glad you liked the stuff! I hope everyone's getting healthy and that your daughters enjoy the upcoming trip to Boston.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I hope you and the little lady are doing much better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Warms my heart to see so much Mo Vaughn in one post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got to see Mo Vaughn hit a home run during a trip to Fenway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the idea of you doing a run of Mo Vaughn Finest cards. I say take it a step further and chase all of the refractors. That guy was a beast. Anyways... after my recent card sort project, I'm doing something similar. I'm going to build the complete Topps run of all of my favorite players. Figured it's a nice way to honor the company I've been a fan of since I started collecting... especially since their MLB licensed trading card days are numbered.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you're feeling better! I will always enjoy seeing Mo Vaughn cards! Enjoy Boston, and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I knew you'd be okay, but it's still good to hear that things weren't too bad. Hopefully your daughter is able to say the same.

    ReplyDelete