Thursday, June 7, 2018

Sports Card Tour 2018 - Oklahoma City

The Collector's Sports Card Tour is making a few quick stops this weekend. Today we're in Oklahoma City, home of the NBA's Thunder.


The Thunder have played ten seasons in OKC since moving from Seattle. They reached the NBA Finals in 2011-12.


Kevin Durant was drafted #2 overall when the franchise was still in Seattle. He was last year's NBA Finals MVP with Golden State and could win the award again this year. This Bowman blue parallel is my best Thunder card.



I've noticed that a lot of great players have appeared in back-to-back Sports Card Tour posts. KD isn't one of them - only because I don't have any of his Warriors cards. 


MVP candidate James Harden played three years in Oklahoma before being traded to the Rockets.


Russell Westbrook was last season's MVP and the NBA's leading scorer. He's averaged a triple-double in each of the last two seasons. He also shares my wife's birthday.

OKC filled the void left by the Harden trade and Durant's departure with Paul George and Carmelo Anthony. It didn't work; the Thunder lost to Utah in the first round of the playoffs and will likely lose George in free agency. They're probably stuck with Melo.

Steven Adams isn't going to 'like' that.


Kendrick Perkins has only played one game this season but he's contributed to the Cavaliers in other ways.


I have 42 total Thunder cards but only 18 in my commons binders-the fewest of any NBA team. That's partly due to their brief history but also because a lot of my OKC cards are stars, inserts, and rookies.


Actually I have more than 42 Thunder cards but I'm not counting these two Donruss rookies as they're part of a set build.


As I've said before in these posts I don't usually mention minor league teams...but Doug (Sports Cards From The Dollar Store) sent me some cards from the CFL, CHL, and AHL to augment these posts.


The Oklahoma City Barons were the AHL affiliate of the Oilers from 2010-15.




The rest of my Thunder base cards. Shaun Livingston was the first Thunder card in my collection-though I can't recall how I ended up with a pack of Adrenalyn. Nick Collison was another Seattle holdover; he retired last month after 14 years with the franchise.





Favorite Thunder player: Russell Westbrook

Next tour stop: Orlando


Thanks for reading!


~


15 comments:

  1. I was so far out of the NBA when they moved that I didn't even know which team had moved until I got back in and discovered Seattle was missing. I missed out on the chance to get rookie cards of Durant, Westbrook, Harden Steph Curry and many more, just another reason I now consider it one of the biggest mistakes of my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a shame. That's a lot of great players to miss out on-and I'm assuming their top RCs are hundreds of dollars already.

      Delete
  2. Anytime I see/hear "OKC", I can't help but think of the episode of "King of the Hill" where Snoop Dog played a pimp from OKC named Alabaster Jones. I had never heard Oklahoma City called by its initials before that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do remember that character but only slightly. I'll have to rewatch that ep on YouTube or something.

      Delete
  3. My collection doesn't acknowledge the NBA and I've never watched a complete NBA game, but I am well aware of the contempt for OKC among many Seattle fans. I work with 2 of them and we're way over on the east coast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Oklahoma City 89ers minor league baseball team had some great mascot cards in the early 90s.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being a Cavaliers fan, I am a huge fan of Lebron James, but I have to give Russell Westbrook huge props for his last two seasons. I truly believe he does not get the respect by fans and others in the NBA that he should.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not much of a basketball fan.
    The Oklahoma City minor league baseball team has had some interesting names over the years. In the 1980s when they were part of the American Association, they were known as the 89ers. That was right from 1962-1997. Then the RedHawks. Now the Dodgers..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoo Hoo - my hometown! While I don't care for basketball, I can speak for old 89er Stadium and Bricktown Ballpark. I went to a lot of games and concerts at that old fairgrounds stadium. The city overhauled downtown, building new venues, housing and the entertainment district, Bricktown. The best LCS is on the Southside and worth hunting down, The Old Ballpark. I have 89ers on my wantlist, looking for any cards that show off the skyline, fairgrounds or in particular, outfield wall advertising.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of love for the 89ers here! I didn't realize they were so popular. Wish I had a card or two to add to this post. Thanks for sharing a little bit about Oklahoma City-I've never been anywhere west of Chicago :/

      Delete
    2. thank you for the 89er cards! Made my day!!

      Delete
  8. OKC will never break the Sonics curse

    ReplyDelete
  9. Imagine of okc kept it's core players and added the other pieces they have now. Wow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be a sick team! They got to the finals before KD, Russ, and Harden had reached their peak.

      Delete
  10. Favorite Thunder players: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, and James Harden

    Gotta admit... I chose those 3 for completely selfish reasons. I have a lot of rookie cards of these three players and their success means they'll maintain their value.

    ReplyDelete