Sunday, June 10, 2018

The Great Eight - my Top 8 Alex Ovechkin cards

I've been falling behind a bit on blogging and commenting due to (among other things) watching the conclusion of the NBA and NHL playoffs. This was a strange year for me. At the start of spring I was more interested in the NBA playoffs: could Indiana upset LeBron and the Cavs? How would the Celtics do without their top two players? What about "small market" teams like the Jazz, Pelicans, and Bucks?

While the basketball playoffs ended with the same two teams for the fourth straight year something amazing happened in hockey. 


Alex Ovechkin and the Capitals won the Stanley Cup. Finally!

I've been an Ovechkin fan since his rookie year, and whenever the Devils were eliminated from (or not participating in) the postseason I'd adopt the Caps as my "girlfriend team" or whatever the term is. When the Caps beat Vegas Thursday night I stayed up 'til 1am watching post-game interviews, analysis, celebrations.. as if I had been invested in #AllCaps all along.


I guess that's what happens when your favorite player isn't on your favorite team - you end up cheering for other guys to get their names on the cup, too.

 

Yes I was pumped to see Ovechkin finally win one but I was happy for Nicklas Backstrom, John Carlson, T.J. Oshie, and Braden Holtbty. Former Devil Devante Smith-Pelly had a monster postseason. Lars Eller was clutch. Tom Wilson was a pain in the ass. Evgeny Kuznetsov probably deserved the Conn Smythe as much as Ovi - if not more.

Ultimately the story of this postseason was about the Great Eight rewriting the narrative and cementing his place in hockey history. And so I thought I'd list the top 8 Alex Ovechkin cards in my collection. Here we go...


#8 - 2005-06 Upper Deck Power Play RC


One of my "pack war" prizes was a small stack of UD Power Play rookie cards. It wasn't a complete set - Sidney Crosby and other stars were missing - but Ovechkin was in there. At one point I had this crazy idea of getting all of his RCs graded and so I sent this in to BGS.


 #7 - 2007-08 Upper Deck Black Diamond Run for the Cup insert


These are a near-exact copy of the Run for the Cup inserts from the first Black Diamond set in 1996-97. The gold-on-gold print is hard to read, but it's a lot cheaper than the 2008-09 version. I paid $6.25 for this card on COMC three years ago.


 #6 - 2005-06 Upper Deck Rookie Showcase insert


Upper Deck celebrated the double rookie class/end of the NHL lockout with a few promotions, including a free Rookie Showcase card awarded at random. These were one per customer, but not one per household. My family had six or seven entries total - I got Ryan Getzlaf, my wife got Alex Ovechkin. I'm not sure if these are worth much anymore but at one point the Ovi was listed in Beckett for $80-$100.


#5 - 2016-17 Upper Deck A Piece of History 500 Goal Club jersey


One of three Ovechkin relics in my collection. All three were purchased at a low price on COMC thanks to the ePack promotion flooding the site with flagship singles. This was the most expensive of the three - and it only cost $6.00.


 #4 - 2013-14 Panini Select Cornerstone Prizm insert #d/25


I rarely bought any packs or boxes of Panini products. Most of my experience with Panini hockey cards has come through COMC- which is where I saw this Cornerstone card. I added this to my cart for $6.25 - at the same price (and same time) as the Run for the Cup card.


 #3 - 2005-06 Upper Deck Black Diamond Quad (SP) RC


The 2005-06 Black Diamond set is one of my favorites - more for the personal memories and the challenge of completing it than the grey foil design. I've had at least a couple copies of this card - graded and ungraded - and probably overpaid for this one. This is my second best Ovechkin RC; I sold the Upper Deck Young Guns card with the rest of the set last year.


 #2 - 2006-07 Upper Deck All-World (SP) insert


I bought this at a card store in Connecticut the year it was released. There was a box of random inserts and parallels - some had price stickers, some didn't. This one didn't, and either it hadn't been listed in Beckett or the store owner didn't look it up because he charged me no more than a dollar. Turns out it's a short print and the first Beckett pricing listed the value at $50.


 #1 - 2005-06 SP Authentic Future Watch Auto RC #d/999


About four years ago I was laser-focused on purchasing high end rookie cards in high grade - such as the LeBron James Topps Chrome RC, Derek Jeter SP RC, and this Future Watch Ovechkin. It was tough to fit this one in my budget, but I made an eBay best offer of $375 and it was accepted. I soon realized why - the case has some serious scratches/smudges on it. Someday I'll send it into Beckett for a reholder. 

Out of curiosity I checked eBay for this card immediately after the Capitals won the Stanley Cup. I haven't seen any sales yet, but one seller was asking $1,500 for this card!


Now that the playoffs have ended I should be able to get back on track with Sports Card Tour. I'm determined to finish that project by the end of July so that I can move on to other topics.

Hope you're having a great weekend! Thanks for reading!


~





18 comments:

  1. It is always great to watch one of our teams or a player we like win a championship. For pro sports, I have seen my Steelers win 2 Super Bowls in my lifetime. I only pray that one day soon my Indians will win a World Series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really torn when the Cubs beat the Indians. On one hand, how can you not root for the Cubbies to break the curse? On the other hand, Indians fans haven't had a title team either-and I wanted Terry Francona to win his third ring.

      Delete
  2. I was pretty happy to see the Capitals finally win the Cup ... but I would've been fine with Vegas winning as well. The NHL playoffs this year were just crazy good and now I'm having just a bit of hockey withdrawal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! I would have loved to see Vegas win if they were playing Tampa or another team. This was a fantastic postseason for the NHL.

      Delete
  3. $375 is going to turn out to be a steal in a few more years as Ovi climbs the goal scoring chart. Two 50 goal seasons puts hit at 700 and into the top 8 all time.

    $1500 might even be cheap for that card in a year or 2...

    Great cards Chris!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe he went from 500 to 600 so fast..700 is definitely doable, even 800. You might be right about that price!

      Delete
  4. Once the Jets were gone I lost all interest in the post season.. I didn't watch/care about the NBA playoffs..
    I do like that Gary Bettman got booed pretty badly at the Cup presentation lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know the Jets have more US-born players than any NHL team right? ;)

      Also, did you see Bettman's hand shake when he presented the trophies? My wife and I both thought he's showing signs of Parkinson's disease. And why is Vegas booing him anyway? They should be thanking him!

      Delete
    2. It happens.. lol
      Yeah if anywhere should be cheering Bettman it's Vegas and Phoenix. They're the main beneficiaries of his obsession for desert hockey..

      Delete
  5. I second Robert, you scored on that last auto at $375. I recently made an "investment" type purchase on an Ovechkin card I've wanted for a long time now, I'll be sure to post it up when it arrives. Amazing collection you've got there Chris!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shane! I can't wait to see your Ovi investment! Hope it pays off for you.

      Delete
  6. Wow. That Spa is inpressive!

    I have a couple of his autos but not a rookie one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I haven't been able to add another Ovi auto to my collection. Which ones do you have?

      Delete
  7. That is a great collection. One of the reasons why I never really went full throttle on collecting the Pens is that Crosby was so expensive out of the gate. Most players have a lull in which you can find some deals. He never did. While $375 is obviously a lot of money, that will prove to be a sound investment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the Crosby hype was incredible-and he's lived up to it from day one. I don't blame you for not breaking the bank on his cards.

      Delete
  8. Those are some great cards there. Very happy for him. His legacy was really be questioned and this was a nice way to get rid of a lot of those questions. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always grating to me when a team sports star is punished for not winning a title. Like it's Dan Marino's fault the Dolphins didn't have a running game. Or Ken Griffey Jr's fault the Mariners didn't have any relief pitching. Or Ted Williams' fault the Yankees existed.

      That said, it's always satisfying to see one of those greats finally get a ring (except A-Rod. And John Elway.)

      Delete
  9. That SP Authentic autograph rookie card is awesome! My buddy is a huge IP autograph guy who focuses on hockey. Awhile back, I asked him if he had an Ovechkin puck I could buy off of him and he told me he's the only NHL star that he could think of that he's never been able to get. That made me go out and grab an on-card autograph of his. Glad I did it before he won the Cup.

    ReplyDelete