Thursday, November 19, 2020

Attacking the All-Time Teams list

How do you use Trading Card Database? Do you aggressively propose trades to users that have the cards you need? Do you offer up duplicate cards on someone's wantlist and browse for a decent return? Do you sit back and wait for offers, focusing on cataloging your own cards more than trading?

This is pretty much the order I follow. If I've exhausted all of my options for priority projects I'll see who needs all of my surplus 2017-2019 Topps baseball cards and see what I can get for them.

 
This Willie Stargell 2017 Topps Heritage insert arrived yesterday in a trade I proposed a month ago today. I've tried every which way to acquire the remaining inserts I need for my master set and some users just won't budge. Wayne (aka T206) accepted the trade and marked it as shipped a day later. 

A week after I offered him two Pete Alonso rookie cards and a couple Braves legends from my duplicates box I received a package.. full of Buffalo Bills cards. There had been a mixup and it took a lot of back-and-forth to get the cards to the traders that had requested them. I sent the Bills cards to their rightful owner and eventually received the cards I had been eagerly anticipating for four weeks.


Okay, I was mostly anxious about the Stargell and Derrick Gibson Ravens card. Yoan Moncada's RC isn't really a RC - but then again the Polar Bear RCs weren't really RCs, either. The bottom three guys are relievers for my All-Time Teams project - but by the time they arrived I only needed J. P. Howell. 

Wayne did make it right, by adding extra cards and including a $5 bill to cover my shipping of the Bills cards to the third trader. Four of them are all-time favorite quarterbacks that I'm saving for future football card posts. Here are the other three freebies:

I already have the Red Sox celebration card, the Rick Porcello mini is numbered to 100 (but it's bent) and I have no idea why Wayne included a CC Sabathia card but I'm not going to complain. 6 of the 7 cards he sent were PC teams/players so that's a good ratio - even if three were dupes.  

Also, he basically covered the Nationals/Expos slot I paid for in Nachos Grande's 2020 Heritage break.


The second type of TCDB deal was my second with Sheepboy. I was a little leery of this because I remebered receiving at least one damaged card from him in our first swap. Would it happen again?

This card of Cincinnati's Riverfront Stadium was the reason I made the offer. A bunch of cards on my trade list matched Ben's want list so it was just a matter of seeing what else I could get for 15 Tigers and Michigan-adjacent players.

No new set fillers here but I tried upgrading and went 1-for-2. The Stump Mitchell is sharp. Ken Norman is creased. Joe Ingles was kind of an impulse add because the Status brand reminds me of old Skybox sets. Also I didn't have an Ingles card or, should I say, no tenia Ingles.

If I can't find set fillers I need or All-Time Team needs, my next priority is team favorites. Ben had a bunch of 1995-96 SP hockey and I was happy to find a few Whalers. The Chris Sale is my first card from the 2002 portion of Archives. I don't like it. The cardstock feels like a bad fit for anything 21st century.


This got me all caught up on old TCDB trades so I tossed a couple more offers out there. Then when I got home from work today I found an envelope from Julie which contained my Pick Pockets picks:


Ha, did not even notice all three of these greats played for the Dodgers at some point. I'm neutral on Chase Utley but I love the '93-style Platinum Power die-cut. I'm nearing 25% of the 2018 Topps Chrome set. Should I go for it? The Pee Wee Reese Vintage Legends insert will probably go in my All-Time Teams binder as an upgrade.

Another Dodgers-adjacent card and another Ohio-based stadium for my All-Time Teams project.


Finally a trio of recent hockey cards including an SP Limited red parallel of Stanley Cup Champion Steven Stamkos. I'm getting really excited for the All-Time Teams hockey edition. Hope you are, too.

Julie, thanks again for offering up so many great cards!


***Thursday Thought***

 

Apropos of absolutely nothing: have any of you ever known or met or seen someone who is your complete opposite in every meaningful way, but something about their physical appearance appeals to you. Like, your practical mind shouts at you that said person is just horrible for you but your eyes say...


 

Just wondering ;-)

 

 

Thanks for reading!



 

~

 

7 comments:

  1. Complete opposite? Not really. Or at least none that I remember. Good question though. It made me sit down and analyze family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yea on the last question. Dated a pathological liar in my younger days, literally would lie about brushing her teeth and other insignificant things. but damn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really only use the Trading Card Database for cataloging my collection. I've never actually made a trade on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When it comes to the TCDB, I often use it to get rid of my unwanted doubles. I'd rather give someone 9 cards I don't want for 6 I do. It's usually not hard to find cards I need in return.

    You can never have enough Red Sox Celebration cards, just saying...

    As far as your Thursday thought: I consider myself to be a fairly religious guy, and once dated an atheist for a few months. That was...interesting...to say the least. (Also, I did marry a Yankees fan, does that count?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I rarely meet anyone these days, and have a tendency to easily forget those that I have, and am no longer in contact with, so I can't really say whether I have or haven't encountered an appealing opposite. It does sound like there's a story behind your question though, and I for one would be most curious to hear about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. TCDB for organization mostly and tracking my wantlist. Glad you found cards to your liking. Come back Thanksgiving weekend. ;) I was involved with an extremely attractive liar some ten years ago. It never became deeply serious fortunately, as I found out there were two other unfortunate souls like myself being led on at the same time. We are all friends now LOL. The suitor moved to Canada. True story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've only ever used TCDB for cataloging my stuff, although I'm on the verge of executing my very first trade! As to your last question...nope, not that I can think of!

    ReplyDelete