Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Box Toppers and PC Pickups

In my last post I said I'd scan up some of the 'old stuff' I bought from Kruk Cards. But I'm going to save that for the weekend. So I'll continue with the singles from COMC...


I've been picking up some oversized cards recently, even though I have no way to store them. Figured COMC would ship them in a top loader anyhow (and they did.)

Earlier this year I read a blog post about these Gypsy Queen Glassworks box toppers and I made a mental note to find one for my collection.


This Corey Seager card was one of only three 'indigo' parallels available, likely due to his missing nearly all of 2018 after Tommy John surgery..


..and the "surface impressions" on the back. You can't really see it in the scan, but there is a pinhole-sized imprint and thumbnail crease to the right of the 20

I don't mind slight flaws (the crease is a bit much) on most modern cards, especially box toppers. Perhaps it's because the 'value' of such things hasn't been instilled in me from decades of price guides, or perhaps it's because I just look at them like fancy postcards.


These World Traveler box toppers both have corner wear. Didn't stop me from paying $3.48 for the pair (which, btw, was less than an Easter Island card sold for by itself.) I bought two more from this series during Black Friday weekend - Chicago is incoming but Vancouver will probably sit in my inventory for a while. 

 

This is another oversized card I couldn't pass up. $2.45 for a unique SB XXXI collectible sounds good to me despite the corner dings and surface scratch. The four box toppers above cost a total of $10.52.

I also bought some standard-sized cards for my team PCs:

 

The Rodgers and Betts have been discussed here before. I don't buy as many Brett Favre cards as I used to, because there are just way too many out there, but there were two in this order and two in my incoming COMC order. Now that I'm on TCDB I might try to add more Favre cards through trades. Perhaps 1,000 unique cards of #4 is an attainable goal (I'm at well over 600 now.)


Big Papi relic here. This jumbo swatch takes up more than half the card.

Also, I didn't realize this until scanning these seven cards..but this group could be considered a "COMC Blaster" made famous by Shane of Shoebox Legends. Observe:

Mookie TBT $3.74
Pedro relic $3.31
Pedro blue $1.25
Rodgers gold $3.40
Favre optic $0.63
Favre red $1.45
Ortiz relic $6.25
total for all 7: $20.03

It's things like this that make staying away from COMC so difficult. 

The Black Friday sales also allowed me to finish a couple of sets. This Kris Bryant 2017 Topps Heritage SP is one of the last four I needed. At $7.63, it was more than I paid for any single card in the set - SP, relic, or otherwise. I still need a ton of inserts though.


The flagship cards in this and other incoming orders bring me to within one card of completing the 2015 set (only need #617 Terrance Gore) and 2016 (need #1 Mike Trout).

Also, I finished my OPC Platinum Hockey Frankenset. That will be featured in its own post.


There are two more cards from this COMC order that I haven't scanned, including a superstar rookie card that cost me more than any single card this season...



~


3 comments:

  1. Ooh, an expensive (and mysterious) superstar rookie card! Is Henry Owens a superstar yet? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that mini "COMC Blaster" you snuck in there :)

    Also, I'm very very intrigued by your OPC Platinum franken-set and am looking forward to seeing that one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Box toppers are awesome! Those World Travelers would make excellent display pieces.

    ReplyDelete