Friday, November 9, 2018

The Basketball card Diaries part Two

I've finished adding my basketball card collection to the Trading Card Database and football is well underway, so I thought I'd recap TCDB trades #2 and #3 in the second installment of...


In my first entry I mentioned a trade involving some 1989-90 Hoops set fillers and a half-dozen 2015-16 Donruss extras. It was basically a 5-for-1 deal with TCDB user porman - who is now my first 'friend' on the site. (Just an fyi, if anyone would like to add me as a friend I'm hockeydude) The Hoops cards arrived today.


My favorites among the 31 new cards include Jerome Lane's no-look pass, Eric Floyd's sleepy layup, Bill Laimbeer boxing out A.C. Green, and Scott Skiles running point for the Pacers - a team I never knew he played for.



Some of these all-stars and HOFers are brand new to my collection, some I had in my miscellany box until a month ago, and some have roller marks across the front. No biggie, I can always upgrade in the future. It's not like these are 1966 Topps high-numbers.

Thanks to porman I'm now at over 70% completion of this set. 

Now that I've pulled all the basketball cards out of my binder and sorted them chronologically I need to figure how how I want to store them. Do I put the common (non-star) cards back in the basketball binder? Do I keep them all in the box and maybe sleeve them up? I'm leaning towards that option - that way I can save the binder for sets I'm working on.
 
Before I even started scrolling through each year's basketball sets and creating a wantlist/tradelist I somehow stumbled upon an old wantlist post from TCDB user Billy Kingsley. You might know him on Blogger as Billy Kingsley. I had an Alonzo Mourning card he needed to finish off a set, and once I combed through my entire collection I proposed a trade.

Billy's bubble mailer also arrived today. It includes 21 cards of some 1990s faves:


I've just started building these two Ultra sets and I'm still under 10% completion... but there are some more incoming.


Early '90s Upper Deck. I've added the '92-93 McDonalds cards to the list of sets I'm now trying to complete. It's only 50 cards and I've got the Shaq and MJ already, so why not?


Some Hall of Famers from my peak collecting years - and beyond. These are the first two cards from 1999-2000 Topps Chrome I've ever owned; my NBA fandom ended around 1998.

Looking over my wantlist stats, it appears that I have a few preferred players that I wasn't quite aware of prior to this project. Hakeem Olajuwon was always my guy - but the second-most frequent player added to my wantlist was Dominique Wilkins, followed by Clyde Drexler, Karl Malone, and Shaquille O'Neal. These numbers will change once I make a wantlist for the 2000s, and I'll probably do a third entry in The Basketball Card Diaries at that point.

Also I should update or delete the Basketball Stars Master List tab. It's sort of unnecessary now that I'm on TCDB.


I have a few cards of the 1994 US Olympic basketball team but I don't remember that squad at all...which is odd to me, because I was a big basketball fan that year and a huge Olympics fan. With players like Wilkins, Isiah Thomas, Shaq, and Reggie Miller I'm assuming that the "Dream Team" guys collectively decided not to play in '94 and let the stars who didn't make the cut two years prior have their shot.


Here's the rest of the batch from Billy, including some 1996-97 SP singles and a Gheorghe Muresan from his brief stint with the New Jersey Nets. 


If I hadn't received these cards in the mail, this post might have focused on some obscure and semi-random bigs from the 90s. Also, this set pays tribute to the 1989-90 NBA Hoops set, which was released a decade earlier (thus the X logo at the bottom right.) I don't think I'll try to complete this set, but I'll probably add a few to my wantlist eventually.

Thanks for the trades, "porman" and "Billy Kingsley"..:P

Have a great weekend, everyone. And sign up for Secret Santa! (if you haven't already done so)


~

5 comments:

  1. Well shoot. Now that I know you are wanting this stuff I know what I can start putting aside for you.

    The 1994 team was not for the Olympics. They were for some tournament that was a qualifier for the 1996 Olympics. Possibly "Basketball Tournament of the Americas" but I don't remember. They got three card sets though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. D'oh! I'm an idiot..there was no Summer Olympics in 1994! Must have confused it with the winter games which did happen that year. But yeah, having that many USA basketball cards in a non-Olympic year is a little overboard. And confusing.

      Delete
    2. I didn't even consider them part of my collection until 2011. When I finally integrated them, I discovered that I had completed the 1994 UD set entirely through repacks over the years! I'm getting close on the Skybox set (I think I'm one Shaq away) but the Flair set was always harder to find so I need a bunch of them.

      Delete
  2. I wish I would've known you were going to be collecting the 89-90 Hoops set before I donated a whole bunch to a thrift store last month.

    Oh, and if I ever get around to trading on the TCDB, I'll have to try and remember to look up this "Billy Kingsley" fellow :)

    ReplyDelete