Sunday, June 23, 2019

P.K.? O.K.!

I had some eBay items to ship out yesterday, but we took the kids to the 11 a.m. matinee of Toy Story 4. By the time the movie ended, all of the local post offices were closed. Also, the second round of the NHL Draft started and the Devils had the third pick. I had just missed that, too. Then I saw that the Flyers made the pick. The Flyers?!? WTH?

Seconds later I felt much better when I read the crawl at the bottom of the screen. The Devils traded the pick to Nashville - for P.K. Subban!

Nashville flipped the #34 pick to Philly.

This doesn't make the Devils Cup contenders or anything - Taylor Hall is still a free agent at the end of the year, the Devils are supermodel-thin on the wings, and after two decades of Martin Brodeur, it sounds odd to say that the Devils' biggest weakness is goaltending. But #1 overall pick Jack Hughes is expected to be a star, and even after the Subban trade the Devils have over $25 million in cap space to throw at a few free agents.

P.K. did have a down year in '18-19, and the Preds understandably wanted to shed his superstar salary after a year of pedestrian production. That's why he was available. Nearly every decent NHL player has a no-trade or no-movement clause, so unless you're Toronto or Pittsburgh it's nearly impossible to acquire a superstar player in their prime. 


Jersey now has two - and a third could be developing under their watch. (Not to mention 2017 #1 pick Nico Hischier) On a personal note, P.K. is already one of my four favorite NHL players - and now all of them except Alex Ovechkin are on the Devils!


There may have been a little foreshadowing to this, when Subban appeared on ESPN's First take to discuss the NBA Finals. Listen to P.K. compare the Raptors to a certain Stanley Cup winner at about 1:35:



I didn't see this at the time (I only watch ESPN for Around the Horn/PTI) I actually caught it on a Devils blog in which the writer stops himself from reading too much into P.K.'s comment. 


In other news...I used the $3 off eBay coupon to pick up another single for my Exquisite set build. The PWE had a hole in it and the top loader was cracked, but the card is okay:


This Claude Giroux cost me $1.75 after tax & shipping. He's been a Flyers star for over a decade, but as was mentioned during this year's NHL Draft, he'll always be remembered for this draft day blunder by Bobby Clarke:

 

I did get one trade in the mail, but I'm expecting a couple more so I'll save them for a card trade recap post. I'm headed out to the Walgreens this morning - which was a Rite Aid until recently - to grab some shipping supplies and investigate these Walgreens Yellow parallels I've heard very little about...


Thanks for reading!


~

10 comments:

  1. So why is it easier for Toronto and Pittsburgh to acquire players in their prime?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More NHL players are from the Toronto area than any NHL city, and they grew up cheering for the Leafs (see Tavares, John). Pittsburgh has Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin; pretty much anyone would be happy to waive a no-trade clause to play with those guys.

      There aren't many players who grew up in NJ - and even fewer who cheered for the Devils as a kid. James van Riemsdyk is from Middletown - as in the middle of NJ, closer to Newark than Philly - but claimed the Flyers were his hometown team when he signed there.

      Delete
  2. So the Rangers got Trouba for nothing, and the Devils got Subban for nothing. Man, the Sens completely ruining the trade market for defensemen by selling Karlsson that low is really leaving its mark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ottawa is a dumpster fire, I wouldn't be surprised if #LOLSENS was Canada's answer to #LOLMETS.

      Rangers are making some solid moves, and Kakko is going to be a stud. Figures a division rival always gets to pick right after NJ.

      Delete
  3. I'm pretty happy he's coming to a local team. I'm going to have to watch the Devils more now. He's in my top 4 favorite as well...after Lundqvist and Zuccarello and about tied with Brent Burns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rivalry is starting to heat up again, that's for sure.

      Delete
  4. Ugh, I was hoping with last year's win, Ovechkin and Backstrom would get the same respect/hype that Squid and the Caveman get, but oh well.

    And sorry, Ovie's locked in for several years. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got no love for the Penguins, and I hope that top free agents would choose DC over P-burgh. And as much as I'd love to see Ovie play for my team he should be a Capital for life. :)

      Delete
  5. I like P.K. I'm hoping he bounces back big time in next season.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely a great pickup and he'll make that a fun lineup to watch.

    ReplyDelete