Sunday, May 24, 2020

Frankenset Sunday - We'll never be Royals

This week's Frankenset Sunday post concerns the Kansas City Royals. 

I'm going to post a Sports Illustrated cover with each of these, assuming there is one for every MLB team.


The Royals entered the MLB in 1969, their All-Time team doesn't have a lot of star power, and their back-to-back World Series appearances in 2014 and 2015 occurred while I was shifting my collecting focus from hockey back to baseball. Also they don't have a large national following. 


Perhaps this explains why I'm one John Mayberry card away from completing the Royals team set. Here's the Royals All-Time team to date:


Did you know Kevin Appier was traded straight-up for Mo Vaughn? I remember the Royals trading Appier to the A's but I forgot all about that Angels-Mets swap. This Jeff Montgomery Firemen insert was part of my trade with TCDB user colonel98801.


I actually had a John Mayberry Royals card but I traded it, and it was a multi-player card anyhow. The Heritage Ned Yost is one of nine 2013 Topps Heritage Royals I acquired in a Nachos Grande trade stack. The 1986 Topps Hal McRae matches a Bret Saberhagen I have and I wondered if every Royals player in that set had their photo taken at the exact same spot at Yankee Stadium. Turns out only those two and Mike Jones were posed in the same place.


Saberhagen and Salvador Perez are guys I semi-collect so there were a fair amount of options. The only other Frank White card I have is PSA-graded so I had to go with 1990 Fleer. Patek needs an upgrade, and one is on the way. The open third base slot will be filled with a George Brett card -- which George Brett card is up to you.


"Mr. Royal" has had some fantastic cards. If I had one of these I'd slot it right into the binder and ask my readers to vote on Bret Saberhagen or Alex Gordon instead. But I don't, so..


I have 56 George Brett cards. 16 are in set builds, leaving 40 eligible for the binder. Here are my five favorite cards of #5:

1990 Leaf


1993 Stadium Club


2003 Flair Greats


2016 Stadium Club


2018 Topps Big League blue parallel


Which George Brett card should I slide into the binder? Vote for your choice in comments.





Thanks for reading!


~

11 comments:

  1. Even though it's not an action shot, I guess I'd have to go with 93 Stadium Club.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm surprised that I like the Big League Brett most. I think blue border for a Royal is just pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I'm going to have to agree with Trevor. The blue synergy on the Big League card is just too perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Voting for 1990 Leaf. I like 'em during their careers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Elliptical Man. They're all good choices, and really the only reason I'm not picking '93 Stadium Club is that it's horizontal, and the team's greatest icon shouldn't be off orientation. The last two are probably as nice as the '90 Leaf, but when it doubt go with one from during his career (not to mention a year in which he won the batting title, back when having the best batting average was considered important enough to be called "the batting title".

    ReplyDelete
  6. As much as I love the 1990 Leaf set (definitely Top 10 in the 90's) and the great photo used for that card, I have to vote for the 1994 Topps card. That swing and Kauffman Stadium on the front and full career stats on the back? It doesn't get much cooler than that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a tough one, it's a toss-up between '93 SC and the '18 Big League parallel for me. Gonna go with Big League just because the border matches up so well & I think it'd look great in a binder page.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The 2016 Stadium Club is nice, but I'm going with 1990 Leaf because it was issued during his playing days and it shows Brett in his trademark batting stance.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's gotta be Blue Big League. Every blue-border Royals card looks great (and I have a bunch of them). It's a shame Topps uses borders that AREN'T blue for their cards....

    ReplyDelete
  10. I say Big League blue parallel also, it's just too perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was close, but I think we can declare a winner - 2018 Topps Big League Blue parallel. Thanks for voting!

    ReplyDelete