Wednesday, May 13, 2020

The Second Wave

The second wave has arrived...


I made a large trade with TCDB user Randylaw. His wantlist contained over 400 cards on my tradelist and I was happy to offload a full box of my duplicates in one shot. I shipped his cards last week and received mine sometime overnight or very early this morning (the box was sitting on my porch when I left for work at 8:45 a.m.)


I picked up plenty of stars and Hall of Famers. 

 

Red Sox, Royals, and Redbirds. The Mike Greenwell glossy at the top left is creased :/


Relievers. I tried to balance out the list of cards I requested with some "junk wax" from sets such as 1989 Score.


The Tigers were well-represented.

About half the cards I received were baseball. I got a nice chunk of singles from the other major sports, too.


The 1978 Topps Greg Pruitt was part of a replacement lot as Randy no longer had 16 of the cards I requested.

 

Many of the cards Randy sent were pack-fresh, including these gems. One of my collecting goals as a kid was to own a Jim McMahon Starting Lineup figure with the Chargers. However Kenner faked me out; McMahon was listed on the 1989 checklist as a Charger but he was still a Bear when the figure was produced.


These basketball singles pair nicely with the Secret Santa gift I received from Mark Hoyle.


More Hall of Famers here, including a Charles Barkley Fleer sticker.


A new set build perhaps?


These are just some of the cards in The Second Wave. There's plenty more up ahead. Brace yourselves ;-)



Thanks for reading!



~






4 comments:

  1. Those Topps 78-79 basketball cards are the only basketball cards that trigger any kind of thrill in me, they're the only NBA packs I ever bought. I was 12.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, a pre-junk era Schmidt wasn't going to lose. The Walton deserves a mention though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you decide to build the 1988-89 Topps hockey set... and condition isn't a huge issue... I might be able to help you out. I picked up a stack of them at the flea market last summer, but they weren't stored in a box. It's one of those rubber band collections. If you want to get a better idea of condition, I took a photo when I wrote up my summary:

    https://sanjosefuji.blogspot.com/2019/06/flea-market-finds-139-70s-hits-and-80s.html

    Anyways... let me know if you're interested and I'll try to dig them out. But they're yours if you want them. I should also let you know that all of the big names (like Shanahan and Roy) were pulled out and put into my 80's hockey binder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I spy an '83 Donruss Schmidt! I just posted that card the other day -- if you notice he's wearing a jersey that's obviously not his.

    ReplyDelete