Tuesday, October 6, 2020

A pink Paige and other random scans

I've been trying to get my scan folder organized so that I can keep track of new cards that come in and who sent them to me. Unfortunately I may have made a bigger mess out of them as I've misplaced the scans of cards I received from Tom (The Angels In Order) and Dennis (Too Many Verlanders) Perhaps I forgot to scan the cards in the first place, I'm not sure. 

not a recent arrival, just a tribute

Sometimes I'm in the mood to simply enjoy the cards that come in and place them in my collection without scanning and discussing them. Of course I email the sender a "thank you" but I should be more proactive about posting these care packages on the blog. That's one reason why I need to get organized. 

I really don't have a good excuse as to why I can't find those scans but I can find scans of recent TCDB trades.


I traded 24 dupes from 2017 Topps (plus seven other cards) to TCDB user Lugnut80 in exchange for 17 set fillers. The Chase Utley is my favorite of this group.

This is the fourth Al Toon RC I've had and they're all off-center. I give up trying to upgrade this card, it's good enough. Technically I'm no longer working on the 1988-89 Fleer basketball set, though I'm happy to trade for singles I need - just in case. The Cavs and Mavs logo cards are not part of the regular 1991-92 Upper Deck set; these are from the Spanish version.


These 2015 Panini Prizm cards were the main reason I offered Lugnut a surplus of cards. Hoyer and Edelman had a rough game last night - but my Packers didn't 😎

Tomb on Tcdb sent these eight cards in exchange for a couple Yankees, an Ichiro, and some 1992-93 Fleer Ultra basketball dupes. He mentioned the Aguirre sticker had soft edges but I'm less picky about the condition of the stickers, which always seem to be miscut, off-center, or wax stained. 

The Rookie at the bottom left is UConn alum Donny (not Donyell) Marshall, while the Mark Price and Lee Smith were replacements for cards tomb reported as damaged. The Rick Mirer is kind of random, it was on my wantlist to replace a damaged copy in my collection.

Speaking of random...

Here's a scan of a 'bucket list' card I don't own (and probably never will.) I must have mentioned this on the blog before because it's in my "unsorted" folder of blog topics. It's a great card, but far too expensive for something that doesn't depict a player. I'm adding it here so I can delete it from my folder.


The "Pocket Rocket" Henri Richard, another Hall of Famer we lost this year - almost a dozen by my count. I mentioned this on Commishbob's blog. I don't own this card, though I do collect Canadiens from their dynasty years. Mostly 1970s as they're more affordable.

Here are some cards I do own, thanks to TCDB user Shaggy69:


These 1987 Topps singles are really crisp. I've been adding a bunch of these lately thanks to trades - and the generosity of one Elliptical Man - and I'm about add a bunch more thanks to an eBay purchase I made yesterday. Stay tuned for that..


Two more for my 1989-90 Fleer set build (which is also going to get a major boost soon) and three more 1987s. The Gerald Madkins at the top right brings my 1993-94 Fleer Ultra set build down to just three cards. 


Or two if I decide to crack this open. This was sent to me in a prior TCDB trade without any indication it was encased. I tried selling it at the height of MJ mania earlier this year but didn't get a bite.


I've become much more committed to set building than team or player collecting over the past year or two, as evidenced by my never-ending quest to acquire PSA-graded copies of all 396 cards in the 1984-85 O-Pee-Chee hockey set.


Pat Flatley is my newest addition. I'm down to just 59 needs. If only I could pay $5 for each of them, like I did with "Flats" here.


Since this is a random post I'm going to mention Paige Spiranac for a second. Before wrapping up my final COMC order I considered adding one of her cards to my cart. I decided not to, because.. 

This is the card in question. It's alright I guess. But those grainy colors don't appeal to me at all.

This is Paige Spiranac in color. This would have been a fantastic card, especially this month. Thanks for nothin, Topps. [Perhaps I should have posted this on my 1993 blog based on her birth year. Oh well.]


Now that I've cleared out some random scans and photos I shall endeavor to keep up with all the care packages from fellow bloggers. Tom, Dennis, thanks again for the great cards!



Thanks for reading!



~


12 comments:

  1. You're working on Lineage too? Seems like it's the set to collect these days. I just went through my extras for Julie, looks like I'll have to now do so again for you.

    How much were you trying to sell the MJ for? Normally I wouldn't ask such a thing, but with you saying that there was no interest, I'm awfully curious to what price wouldn't get a bite.

    It's amazing how often I have no idea who any of these young female celebrities that I see on the blogs are. Kind of makes me want to counter them with posts featuring women from the 30's and 40's that I'm familiar with, but no one else will be :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought a bunch of cards from GCA and he included at least half the set of Lineage in there. I listed the Jordan twice: once with some other base/insert cards fro $23, and once with another graded card for $10.

      Delete
  2. A. That 1968-69 Henri Richard is gorgeous. My favorite vintage hockey card set.

    B. Paige is gorgeous too. Maybe I need to start watch LPGA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just remembered I wrote this post a few years ago about a female golfer who looked good in pink too...

      https://sanjosefuji.blogspot.com/2014/04/cream-of-crop.html

      Delete
    2. She sure did, and that 75-foot putt was sick! I don't think Paige is on the LPGA tour. Without looking it up I'd say she's more of a reporter/personality than a player.

      Delete
  3. I hear you on one part above, sometimes you just don't want to take the time to scan or take pictures and instead enjoy them and put them away. But I feel I am not doing those justice that send if I do that or dont' think they know I appreciate them even if I send an email or message telling them so. So i just post them all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No pink cards, but this post should definitely qualify for Cutch's Save Second Base contest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've long desired a copy of that Maple Leaf Gardens card myself! Nice Flatley, keep at it and you'll find the remaining cards I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are about 40 that I've never even seen slabbed- unless they've been autographed. I need a Tom Barrasso Calder Trophy card and I've seen several copies on eBay. All autographed :/

      Delete
  6. 1987 Topps is my favorite football design.
    Paige is a favorite design of mine too. Hubba hubba!!!

    ReplyDelete