Friday, October 9, 2020

If heaven exists...

 .. they're building one hell of a baseball team.

Whitey Ford was one of my oldest aunt's favorite players. He must have been a favorite of my little league coach, too. I was given the nickname "Whitey" even though I wasn't a pitcher (or a lefty.)


Until today I didn't know why Ford was called the "Chairman of the Board" other than the fact that that it rhymed. I thought it had something to do with Frank Sinatra, who was also given that nickname.

 

R.I.P. to the last great Yankee of the pre-expansion era. 

 

 

~


6 comments:

  1. God knows you need good pitching in October. Ford, Seaver, Gibson in a short series - can't get much better than that.
    Nice tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've lost some of the best in baseball the last couple of months. For me it started with Kaline, then Brock, Gibson, now Whitey. Big names in basketball and football too, this year. 2001 Greats of the Game Whitey Ford - the first auto I ever pulled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tribute and BEAUTIFUL cards. That '54 in particular has me drooling. Rest in peace, Whitey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Received a text with the news during my 2nd period class yesterday and had to take 30 seconds to collect my thoughts. After reading the report on ESPN, it sounds like he was surrounded by his family and he was watching the Yankees beat the Rays. Can't think of a better way to go. Rest in peace Whitey.

    P.S. Both of those cards are fantastic. I can only dream of owning a copy of his 1954 Topps card... but I that Topps Giants card will make an appearance in my tribute post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's been a tough year overall with all of the sports losses we have had. Whitey is right up there with them

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hadn't seen that 54 before. What an awesome card. Sad to lose yet another legend.

    ReplyDelete