Sunday, October 4, 2020

Reds Ox

I couldn't decide if I wanted to do something special for my 396th post - something that would tie in to the size of certain sports card sets. The post I wanted to write would have been another long one, and I already had a backlog of new cards to discuss so I scrapped the epic "396" idea in favor of an old fashioned "lookit my new cards" post.

It's been a long time since I opened a pack of cards, and an unlikely source surprised me with not one but two packs of 2020 baseball cards. My mother in-law gave me the cards included with her Utz potato chip purchase.

In the first pack I pulled Joey Votto, Yoan Moncada, and Mike Soroka. My daughter watched and asked if I got any Red Sox. I told her "not quite".. and then decided to make my own Red Sox card:

Close enough.. right?


As a result the last card in the second pack made me laugh out loud:


It's an actual Red Sox card! Probably the most excitement this team has brought me all year. This poor excuse of a baseball season was such a disappointment that I found myself rooting for the Red Sox to lose so that they could land the #1 pick in next year's draft and (hopefully) take Vanderbilt pitcher Kumar Rocker. The Red Sox have never had a #1 overall pick, and haven't drafted higher than #7 overall since the first three years of the amateur draft.

Anyway, as soon as I started to imagine a pitching staff of Chris Sale, Eddie Rodriguez, and Rocker.. Boston started winning. Figures. :/


I made a handful of trades on TCDB including one with Nate (The Bucs Stop Here) and one with Robert ($30 A Week Habit). Unfortunately I put those cards away before scanning them. Nate finished off my Stranger Things set (season 1) while Robert sent some Red Sox, a pair of Brett Fave cards I didn't have, and a Topps Game insert from 2017 Topps Heritage. Both bloggers boosted my 2016 Donruss Football set build.

This would be a good time to mention that my want list tabs have been updated and returned to the top of the blog :)


One of the cards I traded to Nate was this Francisco Liriano pink refractor card. Even though it's no longer in my possession I'm using it to promote Collecting Cutch's Save Second Base event because I don't have any other pink cards scanned. 


I made a trade with a female collector of Detroit Tigers cards.. and it wasn't Julie.

Rebecca (Tgrs_4_me on TCDB) sent me a dozen cards in exchange for a dozen Motor City men and dupes from my Leaf and Ultra sets.

Setfillers_4_me, hah.  I'm down to just two needs for the 2019 Opening Day set (Yusei Kikuchi is making the slooow journey from COMC.) I also received two 1990 Pro Set Packers cards and a half-dozen hockey singles.

I don't think anyone mentioned the Tampa Bay Lightning winning the Stanley Cup earlier this week. Maybe I missed it. (I could swear there was a Lightning fan on the blogs somewhere?) I was happy to see the Bolts win; Steven Stamkos and Victor Hedman are two of my favorite non-Devils. 

 

This is getting long so I'll save the rest of the care packages and trades for another post. 

 

Thanks for reading!


~

 

9 comments:

  1. If I could get baseball cards from bags of chips, I'd gain 20 pounds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for plugging my #SAVESECONDBASE event. I desperately wanted the Pirates to lose as many games as possible. I looked at it like this: if it's going to be a short season and I can't attend any games, let's lose them all. No sense in trying to win if I cant get excited and be there. Rocker will be a stud for the Pirates for a few years then join an AL East team and dominate (Morton, Cole, Glasnow) because welp, thats life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't forget to leave a comment on this post for a chance at the Ruth relic

      http://collectingcutch.blogspot.com/2020/09/the-final-countdown.html?m=1#comment-form

      Delete
  3. Great grouping of cards, love that Utz Bogaerts! Also like the Kyle Tucker rookie, I may or may not have picked up a bunch of his cards totally randomly in recent weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terrific post. I really like the UTZ cards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rebecca?? Let me at her. Why I oughta... Girl fight! lol. So cool to find other gal collectors out there. I should check out her want list. I have nearly 3000 Tiger dupes just sitting in a box waiting to be loved.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So I'm searching for Utz bags with cards in it for two years and your mother-in-law finds some?

    I wasn't aware the NFL sets from the late '80s were so paltry with not even 400 cards. I thought the '70s NFL sets were too small as it was.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Was going through some SI for Kids sheets that Padrographs sent me and noticed a Kumar Rocker card. Hope he slides down to #4, but it looks like he's probably going at #1.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like what you did with the Votto/Moancada cards! Clever! Hopefully, the Red Sox will get an impact player regardless of where they draft!

    ReplyDelete