Sunday, January 27, 2019

The Mystery Mailer

I mentioned in my last post that three packages were waiting for me when I got home from work on Friday. One from Julie, one from Wes..and a third one I was not expecting.

The sender's name and return address were unreadable:


But the postage sticker narrowed it down considerably:
 

By my estimation there are only 2 or 3 Canadian collectors reading this blog. There was no note inside the mailer; the cards would have to provide clues.


O-Pee-Chee Devils! Lucky for me Brian Boyle was not included; it's the only one I have from '18-19.


More Devils, including Zach Parise, Brendan Shanahan, and Cup-winning Capital Devante Smith-Pelly. My Devils collection has been nearly dormant, since almost everyone on the blogs sends me Red Sox and I haven't been able to upload my hockey traders to TCDB (working on that this weekend.) These are most appreciated - but a Canadian sending hockey cards isn't helping me solve the mystery (although it rules out Mike Matson.)


A-ha! Now this is a clue. Three Khris Middleton cards, an Antoine Walker, a Delanie Walker, and a Chris Chambers card. Whoever sent these has an eye for special mini-collections of players who share one's birthday.

  

Which is what all these players have in common with me: August 12 birthdays. Ian Happ was born the day of the MLB players strike, in 1994. Rafael Araujo was born on my exact birthday. And Plaxico Burress was..a grade-A idiot who once shot himself in a nightclub and probably cost the Giants a Super Bowl. That said, an Ultimate Materials relic #d to 99 is a welcome addition to my collection. (had Plax shot someone else I'd feel differently, obvs.)

But who would know this? Who would have cards of all four sports, including a gold parallel from 2013-14 Score hockey and an obscure Raptor and be generous enough to send a care package of players who have a very specific birthday?


I'm going to go out on a limb here...it has to be Douglas, author of Sports Cards From The Dollar Store, and collector of players who share his 2/14 birthday.


Doug, thank you very much for this surprise package! I'll be sure to send you some return fire as soon as I can.  


Have any of you received a surprise package from a fellow blogger/collector lately?


~

6 comments:

  1. I swear. There was a legible return address on that when it went out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, someone you interact with from Waterloo, Ontario.. lol

    I received a Christmas card with 7 cards in it earlier this week. Completely unexpected..

    ReplyDelete
  3. For some reason it never occurred to me to send you Devils. I'll have to fix that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Buckstore Cards - Doug! I just rec'd a package today with the same washed out corner and postmark. I could make out the three digits in his home address, enough to identify! He blessed me with Blackhawks and Sooner boys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Received a package last week from Julie. Not surprised though. She sends one, two, or three packages every year.

    ReplyDelete