Monday, September 18, 2017

Season Ending Retail Break - 2017 Topps Heritage High Numbers (and some hockey)

Y'all remember my five-box break of 2017 Topps Heritage? I spent about $300 on those five boxes but considering what I pulled (and how much fun I had) I'd say it was worth it. I still haven't finished the entire set - I need 25 of the 100 SP's - but I knew I'd have to set some money aside for High Numbers.

However, when I searched pre-sale prices at my favorite online retailers I found that many of them didn't have any in stock, and those that did were charging $90 for a single hobby box. I wasn't willing to pay more than the $65 that a "low number" box cost, so I had to go the retail route. 

As soon as I got word through the blogosphere that High Numbers hit stores, I made a trip to my LCS (Target) and grabbed a little bit of everything:


I also bought a fat pack of 2017-18 O-Pee-Chee hockey because I like to sample the season's first issues, and I usually prefer it to MVP.



But this year... blecch! I liked last year’s design a lot better. When I opened the pack I saw a shiny sticking out...


...figures it was a checklist. At least I got one Devil. Domi is a guy I kind of collect, and Mitch Marner is better than I thought (I guess he was overshadowed by Auston Matthews.)


My favorite card in the pack is definitely the Jagr playing card insert. As Shoebox Shane said, someone sign him! The fact that the scoring-starved Devils signed Drew Stafford (21 points last season) instead of Jagr (46 points) boggles my mind. Even if he can only manage half that total, the experience he'd bring would be invaluable for Jersey's young forwards like Pavel Zacha and Nico Hischier.


I was hoping to pull a RC of Charlie McAvoy – who I will be collecting because McAvoy is my wife’s maiden name – but instead I got White and Keller. Can't complain with those two.

Now back to baseball, and the Heritage High numbers. My first thought when opening these is that the black wrappers are much cooler than the yellow packs from the main series:


The second thing I noticed is that there were no "Rediscover Topps" buybacks included. Bummer.

I have to admit I didn't study the checklist before opening the packs, and so I assumed there were only 25 SPs in the high numbered portion of the set, numbered 726-750. I was half-right. There are 25 SP's, but the set "only" goes up to 725. I pulled four: 712, 715, 722, and 723. 

Here are the inserts, including the Target exclusive Topps Game rookies:


I got the "wrong" Dodger. Oh well, at least I pulled a Kris Bryant. The Thames and Schwarber cards are cool, too.

As for the base cards, I’m disappointed my guy Trevor Williams isn’t in this set. (Maybe 2018?) But I'm even more disappointed in the repeat packs I picked.

Of the 114 base cards in these packs, 42 of them were duplicates:


 And some were triplicates (is that even a word?)


Aanyone waant to taake these extraa A's off my haands?



Even though I'm planning to build a second (base only) set - as I did with the low numbers - I still have plenty of trade bait because... 

I bought the whole High Number base set from Just Commons. It cost me $25 and arrived the day after my retail break, but I still think it was money well spent, for one reason:


A couple hours after this set arrived I watched Bellinger tie an NL rookie record with his 38th home run. It's a good bet that he'll break that record and end the season with at least 40 bombs. It's an absolute lock that he'll win NL Rookie of the Year.

         And we all know who the AL's ROY will be.


This concludes my card buying for the 2017 baseball card season. I spent over $400 on Topps Heritage products, including the boxes/packs, base set, and SPs I purchased on COMC. It was a lot of money but it was also a lot of fun. I haven't bought this many cards in a single season since before my daughters were born. 

But now I've got to gear up for Black Friday. It's only two months away!


How much have you spent on baseball boxes/packs this season?


~

20 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I know, right? if I wasn't already out of money that would have stopped me from buying any more blasters/fat packs for a while.

      Delete
  2. You should include a trigger warning before you ask how much I've spent on boxes/packs this season.

    The problem with retail is just what you experienced. You tend to get long runs of duplicates, with relatively few 'hit' cards (relics/autos/SPs) to offset all that duplication. Often Hobby is still a better value overall. But it's hard to stomach a box price of $90 for Heritage, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it's in the triple digits I wont feel so bad. Seems like a lot of bloggers were more disciplined than me this year-but this was definitely an exception. I probably spent less than $100 total in 2015 and 2016.

      Delete
  3. As a Sens fan, I'm pretty excited for Colin White. Good pull.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, he looks like a real good prospect. The pre-season sets dont usually have decent RCs but there seem to be a few good ones this year - White, Keller, McAvoy, and Josh Ho Sang to name a few.

      Delete
  4. I have to ask....
    Do the OPC cards have French on them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they do. The print is microscopic, but it is bilingual.

      Delete
    2. Ok.. They can call themselves OPC then.. lol
      That was my Pet Peeve when Upper Deck brought back OPC for baseball years ago.. No French..

      Delete
  5. Love that Jagr! As for your question...hmm...a blaster and a hanger pack of Stadium Club, the same for the Star Wars 40th set, a single pack of Archives, a pack or two of soccer cards, I'd guess probably $75-85. Retail wax isn't really my thing but I'm only human and do get tempted from time to time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had an actual card shop near me, I probably wouldn't bother with retail. Then again, I pulled a Connor McDavid Young Guns RC out of a blaster at Target, so there's always that chance of a huge hit.

      Delete
  6. I've bought three blasters this year and a few random packs... so probably around $80-$90.
    Triplicates is definitely a word in our cardboard collecting lexicon and so is quadruplicates, quintuplicates and anything else higher than that.

    By the way, liked your "anyone waant to taake these extraa A's off my haands?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If there's anything higher than quintuplicates I'll probably find it in my next Heritage blaster.

      I'm glad someone noticed my wordplaay. Thaank you!

      Delete
  7. Matt Olson has been pretty hot lately.. not a bad RC to pull triplicates of!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point..i definitely could have done worse.

      Delete
  8. Those Heritage inserts look like they should have come from the OPC pack.

    It's always a tough call to try to pick retail packages that don't triplicate :) themselves. Do you take two next to each other or skip three in between to break the sequence?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I grabbed the first hanger box in front, but with the fat pack I pulled a couple off the rack so I could get to the middle one. I don't grope the packs to decide which one I want, but sometimes I choose a number in my head and count that far back/down to pick my pack.

      Delete
  9. I have to respectfully disagree...I think this year's OPC design is one of the best in years. I'm thinking about stopping and picking up some retail on the way home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The white borders aren't bad, I just think the design is kinda bland (especially the back) To each his own, I guess.

      Delete
  10. As a Cubs fan I like the percentage on the inserts. I've been worried about the Schwarb but he seems to be improving. Good time for it. Almost embarrassed to say but I think I've only bought about $25 worth of packs this season. I did buy series 1 and 2 Cubs team sets. Those dups are crazy. For someone who rarely trades that's a big turnoff.

    ReplyDelete