Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Sports Card Tour 2018 - Montréal

Bienvenue dans la Belle Province! The Collector's Sports Card Tour is back on the Canadian side of the border. Today we're in Montréal


Montréal is home to two pro sports teams - the Canadiens and the Alouettes. The Als have won seven Grey Cups; despite their success the franchise has folded on more than one occasion. (One of my Canadian readers will have to tell me if this is unusual for CFL franchises.)

CFL cards courtesy of Douglas (Dollar Store cards) 

An astounding 23 Stanley Cups have been won by Club de Hockey Canadien; their last victory in 1993 was the last time a Canadian-based team won the Stanley Cup.


My LCS had this McDonald's place mat lying around and I took it home; it's from the closing of the Montreal Forum in 1996. No idea how a dealer in Connecticut got his hands on it. 


The great Jean Beliveau centered the third line of my Blog Skate Around all-autographed team. I wish I could tell you the Parkhurst tallboy is legit, but it's from a 1994 set of "reprints" - which is sort of a misnomer because these were never actually printed in '64-65. 


Had I been alive to witness the Habs' dominance over the NHL I probably would have hated them - especially when they fleeced the Golden Seals for Guy Lafleur. Since I've only been alive for two of their Stanley Cup wins (and I'm 37!) I have a ton of respect for their history and even started a bit of a '70s Canadiens PC; it was pushed to the side when I saw the prices of Ken Dryden cards.


Here's a sampling of that collection. The Terry Harper was one of the three or four cards my former neighbor gave me; there's a small pen mark on the back. I bought the Pierre Bouchard on COMC for about a buck even though I had never heard of him; I don't even remember reading about him in Ken Dryden's best-selling book The Game.


Perhaps no positional assignment in sports is as prestigious as goaltender for Montréal. From Georges Vezina to Jacques Plante to Dryden the Canadiens' net has been guarded by some of the greatest the sport has ever seen. I was a bit of a Patrick Roy fan in my early years of watching hockey but I soured on him after he pitched a fit in '95 and demanded a trade to Colorado. Carey Price isn't one of my favorites either, but I need his Black Diamond RC to complete my set. 


Jose Theodore is okay in my book. He was the NHL's MVP in 2002 - an award Price also won but Roy never did. Jersey Jim Dowd won a Stanley Cup with the Devils. 


Theodore was the Habs' goalie for the NHL's first outdoor game, which was called the Heritage Classic. This is one of a half dozen Heritage Classic 8 x 10s in my collection.


My wife had (or heard) a nickname for Patrice Brisebois. She called him "Breeze-by" (These are her cards, btw.)


My first statistical analysis post attempted to prove that Pierre Turgeon belongs in the Hockey Hall of Fame. I'm planning to do a similar post about first basemen soon. 


P.K. Subban won a Norris Trophy in 2013 and donated $10 million to a Montréal hospital. Then the Canadiens traded him to Nashville because he's black he's not a cliché machine Marc Bergevin couldn't carry Sam Pollock's briefcase. You'll see more P.K. in my next post. 

Let's be honest...you're here for the Expos. ;)


The Expos are still beloved across North America, more than a dozen years after departing for D.C. They made the playoffs just once in their 36 seasons in Montréal - the players' strike in 1994 robbed them of a potentially pennant-winning season. (If you haven't seen MLB Network's documentary The Colorful Montreal Expos I highly recommend it)


Pedro Martinez was just beginning his ascent to greatness in '94. When he won a World Series with the Red Sox ten years later, he dedicated it to the Expos fans who had just said au revoir to their team.


I had this Expos relic in my collection before I had any of his Red Sox relics. 


Vladimir Guerrero will enter the Baseball Hall of Fame this summer. Many baseball fans who associate him with Montréal thought he'd enter Cooperstown wearing an Expos cap. However, Vlad chose to have an Angles hat on his plaque. I bought this patch card on COMC in March for only $2.99. I wasn't planning on making any more purchases on the site but I couldn't pass on that deal.


Guerrero's choice to represent the Angels means Tim Raines will be the last Hall of Famer to represent the Expos


It also means that the Rockies are the last franchise without a HOFer. Larry Walker would likely rep the Rox - but I don't think he'll get in.


I've toyed with the idea of completing the 1990 Leaf set, since I have all of the key rookie cards. (Same for 1989 Upper Deck.) Why do I have a graded Grady Sizemore RC? Good question. He was a guy I used to collect when he was an all-star Indians outfielder. I really don't need a slabbed copy of this card but it's pointless to sell it and not worth the trouble to crack it open.


I remember when the Expos went "all-in" chasing a playoff berth in 2002. The Bartolo Colon trade didn't seen smart in hindsight but it was a move they had to make. Colon is the last active player who suited up for the 'Spos. 


Some older Expos. I bought the O-Pee-Chee cards on Just Commons because I liked the idea of having Montréal cards with French text on the back. The '78 Stanhouse was one of the Topps Original cards I pulled in packs of 2008 Topps (I also got a '77 Rick Rhoden and a 1990 card.)


I've considered starting a Terry Francona PC of just his base cards. These were also in the Just Commons order- except for the 1984 Donruss, which was in the eBay box of randoms.

source

Like most baseball fans, I hope to see major league baseball return to
Montréal someday. It could be an expansion franchise (perhaps Portland could be the 32nd team) or the relocation of an existing team. For example, what if the Rays left Tampa for Montréal and formed a real rivalry with the Blue Jays? That sounds great in theory - but unless the city can replace the aging (and ugly) Olympic Stadium no team will consider it. Not even the Rays.


Favorite Canadiens player (current) : Max Pacioretty I guess. Connecticut guy.

Favorite Canadiens player (all-time) : Jean Beliveau and Larry Robinson

Favorite Expos player (all-time) : This is a tricky question for me. I'm inclined to say Pedro Martinez but I think of him more as a Red Sox than an Expo, for obvious reasons. Then again, nearly all the players we think of as "true" Expos left town eventually... so I guess it is Pedro. 

Next tour stop: We're halfway home and headed to Nashville. 

Thanks for reading. Au revoir! Merci beaucoup! I'll stop pretending to know French now. :)



~

24 comments:

  1. Great post! I have always had an affinity for the Expos, and have been collecting cards of the Expos for the last few years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well.. Considering the Ottawa RedBlacks are the third team to represent Ottawa, it's not uncommon, but if the attendance isn't there, a team is likely to fold than move.. There's no real alternative cities for them to go to.. lol

    I hate the Canadiens like I hate the Yankees.. Obnoxious fans that squawk the title wins when the team hasn't done anything lately annoys the hell out of me..

    And if you have any Expos you're looking to move... I'm doing a One Million Expos Project.

    I think a team returning to Montreal starts and ends with a stadium in place to replace The Big Owe. I would like any team in Montreal to be named the Expos and to have the Expos' history..

    I do like the fact the Canadiens have a banner for the Expos retired numbers and gave Youppi a job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be sure to send you some Expos when I have the giveaway draft. If Montreal got another baseball team I think they would reclaim the Expos name and colors-but not their history.

      The CFL is a strange and fascinating thing to learn about, lol.

      Delete
    2. The CFL is weird for sure...
      That would be appreciated.. :) I also have to keep an eye out for that Olympic Stadium patch.. Love it..

      Delete
  3. That collector choice Larry walker is my favorite card of his. Great photo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was really bummed out when Vladdy opted for the Angels hat on the HOF plaque... It kind of knocked him down a notch or two on my favorite Expos list...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya..but I understand why he chose an active team over a defunct one-especially since the Angels had never had a HOFer wear their hat (which was news to me)

      Delete
  5. The Expos were my best chance to see MLB games in person so that's the worst part of them leaving, I never really had an allegiance to the team. I actually covered three games at Olympic Stadium for my newspaper there (each time we were interested in someone on the team the Expos were playing). During one of the games, something notable was going on with the Canadians, I don't remember what. You should have seen all the workers at Olympic Stadium. All they cared about was the Canadians news. They couldn't have cared less about the Expos game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must have a ton of great sports reporting stories. I hope you'll share some more with us. The Canadiens are so popular there that the news you speak of could have been anything from a big playoff win to a trade rumor ..er, rumour

      Delete
    2. Yeah.. Montreal is a hockey town for sure.. Almost to the point where they skate out of the womb.. lol

      Delete
  6. It would be a challenge to list a CFL city that didn't have a team implode, or at least spend some time on life support.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that isn't terribly surprising, but the resiliency of those franchises is impressive.

      Also, I finally got around to sending you a return fire for the CFL/Devils cards you sent me. It's not much, just a PWE. I didn't wnat to delay any further though. Hope you like 'em.

      Delete
  7. That placemat is delightfully weird. I'm reminded of the Grim Grinning Ghosts from the Haunted Mansion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol..isn't it? I remembered Beliveau and Richard but I didn't know if the third player was Lafleur until I dug it out-and I forgot all about the ghostly characters.

      Delete
  8. Putting a team back in Montreal would be like getting back together with an ex - nostalgia would be a heavy motivator, but once it happens you quickly remember why things went south. Montreal seems to embrace the Expos more now that they are gone then while the team was there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fair points. It sure isn't a guarantee that the new Expos would be as successful attendance-wise as the new Winnipeg Jets. But, like with the pre-lockout NHL, the revenue sharing structures are more favorable now so if the owner had deep pockets and showed that he(she?) could keep star players in town..I think it could work.

      Delete
    2. Well, like the Jets, I think a requirement for a return to Montreal baseball is a new stadium in place beforehand..
      I don't think MLB will entertain the thought of a return to the Big Owe even for a couple seasons..
      Especially since the original Expos home was supposed to be temporary and ended up being home for 8 years (69-76)

      Delete
  9. Nice Stefan Logan card. He was a total stud at the University of South Dakota. I didn't know he went to Canada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know he played at South Dakota!

      Delete
  10. Those CFL cards have been a fun way to accumulate some interesting WVU alums.

    I'm kind of with Matt above. It would be cool for Canada to get another team, but the support for the Expos really slipped. His last sentence hit the nail on the head. If they do come back I hope the ownership group is filthy rich and can build a winner fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't seen them until Doug sent a bunch to me. They're really sharp looking cards. If I knew any of the players I'd consider chasing the set.

      Montreal would definitely need a very wealthy owner committed to building a strong, sustainable franchise. And they'd need a new stadium. I'm not saying it's going to happen..but there aren't many alternatives for future MLB expansion (not that we need two new teams..)

      Delete
  11. Love the Canadiens cards. Like you, even though I'm a former Whalers and current New England sports fan I find it hard not to be impressed by those Canadiens teams of the past.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Favorite Canadiens player: Saku Koivu

    Favorite Expos player: Vladimir Guerrero

    ReplyDelete