Tuesday, December 17, 2019

12 Days of Christmas Day 5 - Stadium club

Once in a while my mom would order a gift that would keep giving all year long. The Danbury Mint created a set of twelve classic baseball stadium replicas and the first one was waiting under my tree Christmas morning. The rest of the set arrived at my door once a month.


I still have all twelve stadiums in the original boxes. They're in my closet because I have nowhere to display them. This is Forbes Field, former home of the Pittsburgh Pirates.



This is Wrigley Field, home of Chicago Cubs. As you can see, I'm lousy at taking pictures. Here's one I swiped off the internet, so you can see it in greater detail:

 

 Not sure why this person put their stadium on a bathroom floor, but okay. 

 

Each stadium comes with a Certificate of Authenticity. The Polo Grounds replica is one of my favorites:
 

I had planned to show these off in a "stadium series" earlier this year, just so that I can appreciate each piece. It feels like a more natural fit showing them in this series. 

Here are a couple more photos that aren't mine. Comiskey Park:


Yankee Stadium:



Ebbets Field:


This particular set featured stadiums from the golden age of baseball. However, the Danbury Mint has produced other stadium replicas for MLB, NFL, and NCAA teams.


The Houston Astrodome replica is really neat; the dome roof is removable (unlike the real Astrodome.)


I have a couple other Danbury Mint figures, including a Lambeau Field replica and the Robin Yount figure featured in my blog header. I circled this one in the Danbury Mint catalog and added it to my Christmas list.

 

Do you have any Danbury Mint figurines? Have you ever ordered sports memorabilia from a catalog?



Thanks for reading!





 

~

9 comments:

  1. I don't have any Danbury Mint figures but would love to add the Clemente or Stargell to my collection at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know nothing of those stadium figurines but they are pretty neat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two of my better friends worked for Danbury Mint but not in the sports department. I have a similar model on one of NASCAR's tracks, I want to say Atlanta but not 100% sure off the top of my head.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually don't have any Danbury Mint figures, but they sure are sweet. That Forbes Field is amazing! Definitely going to look into that one for my basement office once my house is done being built. Thanks for sharing Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those stadiums are awesome!!!!! Would love those

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are pretty cool! I love seeing those old stadiums from before I was born.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't have any Danbury Mint pieces, but I do remember some of their TV commercials. Also, center field at the Polo Grounds... yeesh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what made Willie's World Series catch so a-Mays-ing :D

      Delete
  8. I don't own any Danbury Mint figurines... but I picked up the AT&T Park replica stadium at the flea market a few years ago for $3.

    ReplyDelete